Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

iron too hot : ? is this safe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

qweets

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hello

i have just installed a new heater into my desolderiron. i am a little worried, i hope someone can help.

before i installed the new heater, the old iron was not working so well, the tip was stuck, blocked, it was quite hot; but i do not remember the heater chassis getting hot at all. but as i recently bought it second hand, I have never had it working to find out.

Now i have installed the new heater. the manual says 'a little smoke is normal after installation.'

I am getting a steady thin stream of smoke and the iron heater (in the picture highlighted red) is hot, but not just at the tip, rather all over the metal chassis too. is this normal? i thought there was some type of insulation to stop/reduce this heat transfer from happening?

i put the thin earth wire from the heater to the connector inside the handpiece that traces to a thin green wire. And the thicker blue and other blue wire from the heater to the connectors inside the hand piece that trace to the thicker wires. So I believe i have them the right way around.

i had it on for 5 mins the smoke was still stready.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

picture below >

solderering-q.jpg

hello

i have just installed a new heater into my desolderiron. i am a little worried, i hope someone can help.

before i installed the new heater, the old iron was not working so well, the tip was stuck, blocked, it was quite hot; but i do not remember the heater chassis getting hot at all. but as i recently bought it second hand, I have never had it working to find out.

Now i have installed the new heater. the manual says 'a little smoke is normal after installation.'

I am getting a steady thin stream of smoke and the iron heater (in the picture highlighted red) is hot, but not just at the tip, rather all over the metal chassis too. is this normal? i thought there was some type of insulation to stop/reduce this heat transfer from happening?

i put the thin earth wire from the heater to the connector inside the handpiece that traces to a thin green wire. And the thicker blue and other blue wire from the heater to the connectors inside the hand piece that trace to the thicker wires. So I believe i have them the right way around.

i had it on for 5 mins the smoke was still stready.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

picture below >

View attachment 98899

I would suggest that instead of guessing from smoke you should use a good thermometer to set a correct temperature. In soldering, smoke means that impurities are burning. Correct soldering requires a correct temperature, then do not care about smoke.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back