Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

When is solder resist added to PCBs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

treez

Is solder resist added to PCBs before or after the PCB goes through the solder bath of the flow soldering machine?
(this is with regard to PCBs that are single sided and contain only surface mount components)

If solder resist refers to solder mask (generally necessary in reflow solder), it will be screen printed or photo "printed" in PCB manufacturing.

Reactions: treez

T

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
" flow soldering machine?" and "only surface mount components)", I don't understand this, flow solder is a bath over which a PCB runs so as to solder the underneath of it where the leads poke through the holes. With SM components the solder is printed on the top of the board and is melted by being passed under a hot source. i.e. the top of the board is being soldered, by "re-flow". Or have I got it wrong?
Either way, solder resist is printed on the board to stop solder whiskers bridging adjacent conductors (its in the name!!), so it is put on before soldering. Any thoughts on how you can print on solder resist on the top of a board loaded with SM components?
Frank

Last edited:

T

:)
That's two different process.
Solder mask (resist) will be done in PCB factory.
While flow soldering machine will used in PCB assembly factory.
They are two different process in different factory.

deftpcb@deftronics.net
This is Sunny ,i work in PCB factory more than 3 years.If you have any needed of PCB design/manufacture/assembly.please contact me ,good service promised!

T

of course add ing soldermask before soldering or HAL

T

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor