Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Relation between filters and controllers

Status
Not open for further replies.

mesmart87

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello All,

I am having a tough time figuring out the relationship between a filter and a controller.
Here is my understanding of the two terms (irrespective of implementation: analog or digital)

1. Filter : A block of hardware or software that when fed with a given signal generates an output with signals of only those frequencies for which it is designed for. Accordingly , we have different types of filters such as LPF, HPF etc.

2. Controller: This block of hardware or software basically has two inputs : A reference signal and the fed back output signal. The controller, in a typical negative feedback topology), calculates the instantaneous difference between the reference and fed back output to generate a 'control' output such that the error signal should reduce to zero.

With this background, I fail to understand how are a filter and a controller related? For example, how is it that a 2 pole 2 zero filter is also used as a 2 pole 2 zero controller (like in digital power control applications). I am just not able to figure out the intuitive link between the two, that should allow me to view one as the dual of the other.

Any suggestions? What am I missing?

Thanks a lot!

Filter :- We use it for allowing only desired part of signal.
Controller :- We use it for reducing error and making system stable.
So filter can be used at controller if it fulfilling the requirements.
Example :- A noisy signal..if you use a noise removal filter,one can get the less noisy output.But if sometimes we use a controller,it can add/remove noise .
Read 1st para of this doc :- https://www.controlguru.com/wp/p84.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back