Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

hand crank portable charger or solar portable charger for mobile device

Status
Not open for further replies.

LKSH

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi
i want to charge my mobile phone with "hand cranking option or solar charging"
my mobile charger is having output 5v 1.5amp, but important 5v & 800mamp to 1amp can do good.
is there any dynamo or solar panel which should be portable and handy to carry around easily?
thx in advance

Buy a 1:10 geared motor and attach a handle to make it a hand cranked generator.
DSCN0692.JPG

Now connect a DC-DC converter[based on LM2576, See the datasheet for ckt diag.] to it's 5V [you have program it using the feedback resisitors shown in the diagram] output

Buy a 1:10 geared motor and attach a handle to make it a hand cranked generator.
View attachment 98266

Now connect a DC-DC converter[based on LM2576, See the datasheet for ckt diag.] to it's 5V [you have program it using the feedback resisitors shown in the diagram] output

what is 1:10 geared moter specification?
i mean how do i get it, what is the name for it?
thx

They are simply called geared motors [used in robotics]. They are either 6V or 12V rated. Buy the one with 12V rating.

You have to buy a pulley which firmly fits on the shaft where you can attach the handle as I have shown in the picture.

See the catalogue for small geared motors on any shop or website. You better go for gear motor with metal gears for durability and buy the one which you can hold firmly in your one hand. With all the geared motors they will specify the gear ratio. 10:1 means when the motor rotates 10 times the outer shaft will rotate only 1 time. This way you have higher torque output.

Vice versa when you operate motor as a generator the it will become 1:10 gear ratio which means when you rotate outer shaft 1 time, the motor rotor will rotate 10 times.

For example see these https://www.pololu.com/category/51/pololu-metal-gearmotors
Motors have gear ratio like 10:1, 20:1 etc

Now connect a DC-DC converter[based on LM2576, See the datasheet for ckt diag.] to hand cranked generator's output to get a steady 5V output from the DC-DC converter.

Last edited:

They are simply called geared motors [used in robotics]. They are either 6V or 12V rated. Buy the one with 12V rating.

You have to buy a pulley which firmly fits on the shaft where you can attach the handle as I have shown in the picture.

See the catalogue for small geared motors on any shop or website. You better go for gear motor with metal gears for durability and buy the one which you can hold firmly in your one hand. With all the geared motors they will specify the gear ratio. 10:1 means when the motor rotates 10 times the outer shaft will rotate only 1 time. This way you have higher torque output.

Vice versa when you operate motor as a generator the it will become 1:10 gear ratio which means when you rotate outer shaft 1 time, the motor rotor will rotate 10 times.

For example see these https://www.pololu.com/category/51/pololu-metal-gearmotors
Motors have gear ratio like 10:1, 20:1 etc

Now connect a DC-DC converter[based on LM2576, See the datasheet for ckt diag.] to hand cranked generator's output to get a steady 5V output from the DC-DC converter.

thanks a lot but i talked to the shopkeeper about "12v 10:1 metal geared ratio motor", he said we sell motor by "rmp".
so could u tell that what rmp motor must be appropriate for this application?

Buy a low RPM [say 200] motor with metal gears and attach a handle and give it a try.

Too much analysis will kill the idea. Just buy any metal gear motor available and give it a try.

does this circuit based on LM2576 worked??

You will get tired and bored long before your phone is charged by cranking a motor/generator by hand. Use a windmill generator instead.

How is that possible with windmill

Status
Not open for further replies.