Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to design a rated current power supply?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lurker_soo

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
A rated curent power supply system for Stepper Motor, 500mA,DC,Input Voltage:24V.How should I do?Thanks!!!

What to you mean by a rated current power supply ?

If you need 24v and 500mA together you may use LM150 or LM138 linear power regulators...These can deliver the current you need at the voltage that you adjust...

You will need a trasformer, rectifier, Shunt capacitor filter and the IC...

Hope this helps...

lurker_soo said:
A rated curent power supply system for Stepper Motor, 500mA,DC,Input Voltage:24V.How should I do?Thanks!!!
The components you select for the power supply should be able to carry the amount of 'rated current'.

Transformer -> bridge -> LM317 (with heatsink)

I agree with nicleo.

The simplest way to realize the power supply you need is
building a linear power supply using the LM117 voltage regulator.

"The LM117 series of adjustable 3-terminal positive voltage
regulators is capable of supplying in excess of 1.5A over a
1.2V to 37V output range."

You can choose the LM117 in TO220 package and you should use an heat-sink.

For the way to realize the linear power supply (transformer, rectifier, filter, voltage
regulator) I think you can find a great deal of documentation.

For the way to use the LM117 to adjust its output to your desired voltage, you can read the LM117 series data sheet available on National site.

Regards

I think L200 is better option as in the LM117(317) the current is limited to fixed 1.5A and to change it, having still voltage adjustable, you need external circuitry.
L200 will use only single resistor to set current limit to 500mA or different (up to 2A).
Data sheet here:
**broken link removed**

Status
Not open for further replies.