Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[Moved} Interfacing a Computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

kenbabyboy

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
modern laptops only have VGA and USB ports. Can somebody tell me how I can send signals to a hardware using VGA or USB port instead of parallel port or serial port; since new laptops do not come with parallel or serial port.

I need your guidance...

Re: Interfacing a Computer

I'm not sure I understand the question. VGA is for video; it's not normally used for interfacing to anything other than a video device. If your hardware has a USB port then you can connect it to the USB port of your computer. You don't say what kind of signals you are trying to connect. You can always add an inexpensive digital I/O card to a computer to provide a simple interface. Or a serial card, if that's what you want.

Another option would be to use an FTDI FT232RL, FT232H or similar breakout board:

Breakout Board for FT232RL USB to Serial

They can be found on eBay for less than $5 shipping included.

These device not only offer a virtual COM port to send data through the USB to a TTL UART, they also offer several TTL I/O lines which can be controlled by software on the PC.

They have been successfully used as programmers, USB to Serial converters, JTAG, etc.

BigDog

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back