Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

About Ansoft and EM Simulation Sonnet 10.51

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ebraheem

Banned
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
protap pramanick

Hi all,

I hope all of u r very good and in good healthy

I have Ansoft Designer SV 1.0 but I didn't have the optimization package and Planar EM Simulator......So how can I get these packages???

I'm trying to simulate 6-pole Multiple-Coupled Microstrip Hairpin-Resonator Filter, and I need some help.......I don't know how to draw hairpin in Ansoft or EM, and how can I synthesise to get the dimentions of the hairpin filter???

I hope to find the answers here....

Thanks for ur patient

em simulations,sonnet

As I understand it, the optimization package (optimetrics is what Ansoft calls it) isn't needed for Designer - the program's code includes optimization provided you specifiy parameters for the variables you wish to optimize. Optimetrics is needed for optimization in HFSS though. Alas, optimization is only available in the full version of Designer, not the SV. Likewise the Planar EM Simulator is not available in the SV either. From their website you can see a chart that lists the capabilities of SV and the full package - check it out. Ensemble SV was the free planar EM tool from Ansoft but they've bundled that into Designer and disabled it for the SV. I posted the old, free, stand alone program some time ago in this forum. If you look in the download section it might still be available. To simulate the filter you described, I recommend you stick with Sonnet. Sonnet Lite should be able to get you a result (you'll need to register it since the 1MB unregistered copy won't get the job done) even though you may have to sacrafice the accuracy to stay within the 16MB memory limit.

Added after 56 minutes:

Sorry, forgot to answer one of your questions...

The dimensions of your filter depend on several things, most important being the frequency of operation and the materials used to construct the filter. The packaging is also important but if you're only simulating this is a minor detail. You'll need to know what the permittivity (er) and loss tangent (tan delta) are for the substrate you plan to use. This information will determine the actual dimensions of the resonators that comprise the filter. Furthermore you'll need to specify this information to the simulator so that it can solve the project accurately. If you're using standard substrates and metals (e.g. RT duroid, FR4, Ag, Au, Cu, etc.) the materials properties might be included in the library that comes with the software. If you're using unconventional materials be prepared to enter in the required data when building your "layer stackup", oops - used an Ansoft term, Sonnet calls them "metalization levels and dielectric layers."

Synthesis tools are available in packages like Eagleware Genesys, Agilent ADS, and Ansoft Designer, but I doubt you're going to shell out that kind of cash just get a tool to synthesize hairpin filter dimensions. I can't remember if Designer's synthesis tool is enabled in the SV or not but if it is you'll still need to build your "layer stackup" and specify the materials properties for the synthesis tool to give *approximate* dimensions. In sonnet you'll have to do this by hand. lambda = c / (f * sqrt(epsilon effective)). Your total resonator length should be approximately lambda / 2. Epsilon effective depends on the dielectric (substrate) used. You can get it if you simulate a simple microstrip line in sonnet first. The inter-resonator coupling spacings are yet another parameter you need to find... This is getting too long. I'll attach a brief paper on the procedure. The paper was for a class assignment and uses the procedure outlined by Protap Pramanick in his paper entitled "Compact 900 MHz hairpin-line filters using high dielectric constant microstrip line" found in Microwave Symposium Digest, 1993., IEEE MTT-S International , 14-18 June 1993 Pages:885 - 888 vol.2. If you (or your school if you're in academia) have access to IEEE publications, I recommend that you get a copy of this paper, it goes through the procedure step by step. This should get you well on your way.

Good luck!

substrate ar properties in eagleware

Ebraheem said:
Hi all,

I hope all of u r very good and in good healthy

I have Ansoft Designer SV 1.0 but I didn't have the optimization package and Planar EM Simulator......So how can I get these packages???

I'm trying to simulate 6-pole Multiple-Coupled Microstrip Hairpin-Resonator Filter, and I need some help.......I don't know how to draw hairpin in Ansoft or EM, and how can I synthesise to get the dimentions of the hairpin filter???

I hope to find the answers here....

Thanks for ur patient
asalmo alykom,akh ebrahim,u can build ur design a auocad then convert to ansfot extension,optimization is removed because u use student version,ar u send ur xf file(autocad),wtih ur substrate param. and ur freq.to me
jamywood4000@yahoo.com

ansoft em simulation

Thank u dr_em, and wa alykom alslam, akh abdoeng

Thank u very very very much about these information, but what I need is a practical procedure.

I have only Ansoft SV and Sonnet 10.51 programes, how can use these package to design and simulate a hairpin filter???

Sorry for bothering u

Thanks for ur patient

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back