Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

indoor navigation system for blind person

Status
Not open for further replies.

HIREN DAVE

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello friends,

I want to design a circuit for blind person i.e. indoor building navigation. I found that sometimes it is very difficult to find path in a building to a common location for blind person. GPS can't be used for this purpose. So what technology should i use? How it is possible? Which is low cost solution?

thanks in advance.

you can use a sensor network including distance sensor, IR sensors, etc to come up with a solution, otherwise you can use a kinect and develop your environment around it.
For a better performance, you can create a 3d visualisation and accordingly feed commands to the user to take directions, Just the way its done for robots.
I would strongly recommend you to take a look at SLAM(simultaneous locomotion and mapping). Really cook stuff.

There is a device known as a 'Refreshable Braille Display'.

Suppose one of these were combined with a receiver, in one unit, for a blind person to carry in the hand.

It would pick up broadcasts from transmitters located throughout a building, broadcasting what floor they are located on, and whether it is the north-east-south-west end.

The receiver picks up the radio broadcast, and raises or lowers pins on the handheld Braille mechanism, to display the floor number, etc.

A refreshable Braille display is expensive at this time. The link above proposes a technology which is less expensive.

I think by far the best (in terms of simplicity, cost, effectiveness etc etc) would be a system built based on Sonar or the bat method.

The basic idea here is to generate an ultrasonic signal - either continous or pulsed or chirped - and pick up all reflections with dual receivers (ultrasonic of course) : viz stereophonic.

Now downconvert these to audible range & output into headphones/ earplugs. The entire contraption can be made into a headband, or even into a pair of (thickish) eyeglasses, or in a cap or something similar. This way the user gets the reflections from the direction he is "looking".

Optically challenged persons are usually audible enhanced, and after some learning time, such a system could well provide the user with an almost "visible" map of their surroundings.

I plan to make such a system myself .. soon soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.