Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What is a deck? (rotary switch)

Status
Not open for further replies.

WidElectronics

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,
I am not getting correctly, what is deck in rotary switch and also number of poles per deck, also angle of throw.:-? I'm not an expert so can anyone help me to understand it? I googled it, but no luck.:sad:
Hoping for guidance. Thanks in advance:grin:

Hi,
I am not getting correctly, what is deck in rotary switch and also number of poles per deck, also angle of throw.:-? I'm not an expert so can anyone help me to understand it? I googled it, but no luck.:sad:
Hoping for guidance. Thanks in advance:grin:

The best way to see what it means is to look at one such switch.
Most often rotary switches are designed with one or more "decks", round plates made of an insulator on which contacts are arranged so that by rotating the sliding contact over the deck, one or more those contacts are engaged by the sliding contact.

The throw is the movement of the moving contact by which it engages one or more fixed contacts.
The simplest case is a toggle switch where two contacts are alternately engaged by the moving contact)(SPDT). One-throw switch type (SPST) has only one moving and one fixed contact, so in one movement (throw) the contacts are separated, in the other throw they are engaged
Two such switches moved by one lever make a DPST type switch.(double-pole single-throw).
If two fixed contacts are alternately engaged by the moving contacts, it makes a SPDT (single-pole double-throw) switch, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.