Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

IC failure Analysis ( Latch-up )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello

I have two chips. one has a latch-up problem and the others does not. but this chip is damaged-chip too(not latch-up damage. but cause is unknown)

I want to distinguish each other which one is latch-up damaged and the other is not. Is there is way to distinguish two damaged-chip?

thanks

If latchup has been left to run to its conclusion, you may
not be able to tell much. But a common clue is that the
supply interconnect is burnt. You may find a hot spot if
the latchup is due to an isolated lack of body ties / substrate
ties. But if the whole physical design is marginal the latchup
may be pervasive and the damage likewise.

I don't know why you assert that one is not latchup-damaged
when you say the cause is unknown.

Reactions: 020170

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
I want to tell confidently that latch-up is not the cause for "Unknown" damaged chip. I want to know "Unknown" damaged chip is damaged by some cause, not latch-up.

But I have no evidence for some other people.

But I don't know How to distinguish each other latch-up sample & unknown damaged sample.

If some chip is damaged by latch-up, how do I know that? through physical analysis? or any other way?

First of all, I'll prepare to physical analysize (de-layer). I wish this method let me know the difference between latchup sample and not-latchup sample.

thanks.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.