Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

TSUNAMI & EARTHQUAKE WARNING Systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

rauol

Full Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi All Forum members.
I was just thinking about the people who died in the Tsunami dissaster and felt ashamed that in todays age with so much technology people died .
and there was ample time of around three hours to warn them.

My plan is for people of this forum to Discuss and design Warning System for tsunamis and earthquakes.

Feel free to discuss new ideas and systems which can be built from standard equipment for the betterment of Humanity.

What are the possible types of detection and communication systems required for this? Portable ones and hifi ones.

regards
Puvi

Hi....
Technology for detecting the disasters like Tsunami and earthquakes r already existing. Tsunami was a disaster this time, because that technology was not implemented in Indian Ocean.
This system is already existing in the Pacific Ocean, where they have mounted the Sensors and Transmitters.

Detection will be hard for us to design because we are not in the field of geology to know what kind of data to detect. If at least we know what kind of raw data we will need to detect, interpret and analyze we can create an improved system. That system must be able to analyze the threats in the shortest possible time.

Because most of the times it is too easy to get the data but the analysis and prediction is the one that takes a longer time.

Scientists observing natural phenomena cannot just send an alarm when they had detected a threat, because false alarms can also cause loss in lives also in wealth.

So more often it is the analysis part and prediction that must be improved very much.

Glenjoy

There are always 2 types of approach immediate warning's when the disasters is occurring (as in the case of tsunami it will be help full as the wave move at a comparatively lesser speed) or the prediction for every thing you need the basic sensing systems and communication systems.
Prediction system's uses the old database of the previously logged data and apply those data's to a model and to get the predicted results it needs real time updates to improve the predictions

Regards
Puvi

From engineering point of view earquacke detection system is not difficult to build. Similar system already exists (Pacific Ocean, head quarter in California) and it is the matter of sharing experiences and solutions.

More difficult will be to implement warnig system, especially on remote islends and beaches where there is poor or almost no communication system in place.

rauol said:
Hi All Forum members.
I was just thinking about the people who died in the Tsunami dissaster and felt ashamed that in todays age with so much technology people died .
and there was ample time of around three hours to warn them.

The technology exists, and one such device who detects the tidal wave costs around 250.000 eur (usually it is installed on the bottom of the ocean). Of course, several devices must be installed. But not the lack of technology is the issue. The real enemies are the politicians who decide to ignore the presence of the technology and thinking patterns like "this will never happend to us". There is a first time for all, you know. I really cannot figure out how can we fight with the real enemy in this case.

/pisoiu

To IanP

Then what the tv and radio are doing there ?? :sm5:

One point, which got un-noticed here is the story about the changed animal/bird behavior. In Tamilnaadu, elephants ran to higher places. The people who went behind them survived. Is it sixth sense? or some kind of waves (Infrasonic may be) they got?

My idea is if we can identify what changes the animal behaviour, and if it is not a supernatural thing, then we can build small warning systems to detect the waves(?) which animals can feel. which do not need to be places in ocean (middle of nowhere) and communication problems will be minimized. Every house can have one such low cost system (they will be mass produced!)

what you guys say?

Ok come to the real aim of the page. What are the various sensing elements present in the whole setup to measure the earthquake or tidal wave’s features?

Regards
puvi

There have been couple of depts around the world who look after geographrical changes hapening all around the world. The Oceanography dept and Sesmic monitoring systems have already knew of the warnings. I mean all the systems are right now there in place. Only thing is that proper co-ordination and alerting should be or more use.

Lets develop systems that can alert the crowd.

Gold_kiss

Govt. should allocate a frequency for disaster warning. Every home must have a receiver with an alarm.

are the politicians who decide to ignore the presence of the technology
I agreed withyou pisoiu, in my country the implementation such technology are not back up by the goverment, because the technology just wast money (they said)

Why allocating a new seperate frequency for warning systems as we can use the existing communication systems like AM radio, FM radio, cable TV. people alwas hear to FM radios while working and driving . Government should tie up with the private TV and Radio channels to use their communication systems for spreding the warning signal's in the case of emergency. allocating a seperate frequency channel is easy but people have to buy the receiver and have to operate it 24 hrs, and in areas like india, srilanka where tsunamies are very rare (iam hearing for the first time) why ou need such device as we have a full 24 hrs operated TV and radio channels.

Regards
Puvi.

Even at this moment the goverments have the measurement devices and is possible to measure preciseley seismic events, it's impossible a real time prediction (2 or 3 hour before earthquake). I think that it's almost useless to alert 1 minute before desaster...
the same problem is the prediction of the hurricane trace...

//a

If you are in india and happen to see THE BIG FIGHT in NDTV 24 X 7 , u might have understood the sad plight of indian politicians underlinin the fact that we dunt have efficient disaster warinin systems.
Well everyone has to agree that india is one the most advanced countries, but to wot extent is it if it cannot save the lives of thousands of people.Its always the time for us to unite and work together to avoid an extintion of human life.

nature has its own answer, we cannot find a solution but atleast lets be prepared

with regards,

I think every earth quake doesn't trigger a tsunami. So, it is very important to design a good system because, if there are 2 consecutive false alarms, then people don't believe the 3rd one even if it is real.

Japan, while designing the tsunami warning system, had to face the same problems. Initially they built a warning system based off a earth quake. Every time there is a warning, they used to move the people to hilly area, after that they realize that there is no tsunami. It happend lot of times. 70% of the warnings were false. Then they built another one to detect actual tsunami instead of earth quake in sea. This is not an equipment which could be installed at one place. They need to plant at lot of places in sea to detect the speed and strength of tides. That's why it is expensive I think. US is also using the same one I think.

And next is to build a good communication system to communicate to costal places. People at beaches may not have radios in their hand. So, it should be kind of public warning system.

tx
sri

Hi All,
This topic was discussed at piclist as well. If you're interested you can search the archives.

Dear all,

I live in Jakarta, Indonesia. Thank God that Jakarta was free from the tsunami attack.

In Indonesia, we have a very long coastal lines and many small islands. Most of the people who lives in the coastal area are poor people. That create a difficulties to build public warning system.

Many earthquake & tsunami expert can easily design tsunami detection system. But, to create an effective warning system which can reach all those people ........ what a challenge to overcome!

aaNg

The sensing part is well proven, only how to inform people of the danger is important.

may be it is possible to use aircraft which generate a colourfull smoke near beaches to inform people to get out.

Status
Not open for further replies.