Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to create mcs file for Microblaze software

Status
Not open for further replies.

gentleoyink

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

I am trying to implement a system that saves the FPGA configuration data to 2 FLAsh PROMs (xcf04s) connected in Master Serial Mode to the FPGA (Spartan 3E 1200).

What I have done so far

1. I have designed a simple test VHDL entity, verified its working.
2. I have configured the PROM with the bit stream by creating a .mcs file using Impact.
3. Turned OFF power, connected the Mode pins and turned the power ON.
Result: The FPGA was configured successfully.

Problem
1. The real system I am going to implement uses software. I implemented the system using the SDK and EDK for software.
2. How do I convert this software to a form that it can be stored in the PROM along with the hardware configuration, so that I can power up the FPGA and it will load these configuration

I have read the documentations XAPP501, XAPP138 and XAPP482 and the more I get confused.

What I am thinking is that I will convert a .elf file to .bit file and then use impact to convert it to .mcs file before configuring the PROM with it.

If I am correct above, does the .elf file contain all my project information (hardware and software) or just software.

Please let me know the best way to go about this.

Thank you

did you tired converting the .bit file created with SDK. I think it's stored in ../system directory.

Yes I did, but the board did not responde to my inputs.

There are two .bit files. One is system.bit and the other is download.bit. I tried the download.bit.

Yes I did, but the board did not responde to my inputs.

There are two .bit files. One is system.bit and the other is download.bit. I tried the download.bit.

1. you need to "update your bit stream" (using elf file ) before "generate bit stream" - thats how your code is embedded inside BRAM that is inculuded in bit file.
2. you also need to make sure that in your design you mapped a memory for the region that mb start to boot from.
3. and also that your linker script knows it need to get a code from this memory.
4. also if your program is too big to fit to brams - you will need to store it on external memory (flash)
and built a boot loader (or use existing one) that will load the flash to RAM space.

1. you need to "update your bit stream" (using elf file ) before "generate bit stream" - thats how your code is embedded inside BRAM that is inculuded in bit file.
2. you also need to make sure that in your design you mapped a memory for the region that mb start to boot from.
3. and also that your linker script knows it need to get a code from this memory.
4. also if your program is too big to fit to brams - you will need to store it on external memory (flash)
and built a boot loader (or use existing one) that will load the flash to RAM space.

Thank you for your response. I will do as you have said in two hours (not near my computer) and post my result here.

Hello aruipksni, I have done step 1. Can you pls give me hints on how to do step 2 and 3.

Thank you.

Hello aruipksni, I have done step 1. Can you pls give me hints on how to do step 2 and 3.

Thank you.

Actually it was suppose to be the last stage.
Stepp 2 is quite easy. Since mb is reset af
Address 0 you must have a memory mapped from this
Address on.
So check your system.mhs gui for correct address
Map.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back