Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Replace one Relay for other Solid state relay

Status
Not open for further replies.

kkdelabaca

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

To increase the speed of one device, I’m very interested in replace one mechanical relay for other faster relay.

The actual relay is:
- G5LA-1 12DC OMRON: https://www.farnell.com/datasheets/1685544.pdf

Somebody know if exist any SOLID STATE relay with the same package?

Thanks!

Solid State Relay dissipate power can go up to 60W. Usually triac is used and he require heatsink for cooling. In other hand relay dont have power dissipation or have very very small dissipation in his contacts. Its possible to use triac without heatsink or with very small heatsink if you control very small current and use high power triac.

Your relay have max 10ms activation time, and max 5ms for release. You can find relay with 4ms activation time.

Best regards,
Peter

Solid State Relay dissipate power can go up to 60W. Usually triac is used and he require heatsink for cooling. In other hand relay dont have power dissipation or have very very small dissipation in his contacts. Its possible to use triac without heatsink or with very small heatsink if you control very small current and use high power triac.

Your relay have max 10ms activation time, and max 5ms for release. You can find relay with 4ms activation time.

Best regards,
Peter

Yes, I can buy one faster mechanical relay, but also muy problem is the "glitches" in the contact.
The load that I have is 12V, 50mA. My main problem is locate one solid state relay but with the same package/footprint to avoid creating one new PCB.

Really I need one contact SPST.

Thanks!

Yes, I can buy one faster mechanical relay, but also muy problem is the "glitches" in the contact.
The load that I have is 12V, 50mA. My main problem is locate one solid state relay but with the same package/footprint to avoid creating one new PCB.

Really I need one contact SPST.

Thanks!

Relays contacts life span is not small, and can be from 100000 to 1million switching, and such informations use manufacturer datasheet for particular relay model. Relay contacts usually suffer from high current or over current usage. You can always use snubber around relay contacts. Snubber will prolong contacts life and will eliminate a lots other problems. For your load 12V @ 50mA, relay contact will have almost unlimited life, snubber is not needed. For relay coil flyback diode is needed in any way.

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

If you have load 12V @ 50mA, you can use almost all triacs for this purpose even without heatsink. Look to use triacs with small gate current if possible and isolated. Also check small triacs in DIP/TO92 sockets.

Best regards,
Peter

As tpetar states a snubber will probably solve your problem.

If you go the triac route, then check for their on voltage which can be quite significant (hence you wont get 12V to the load).
Also they have a minimum holding current at which they will stay on for the rest of the cycle without a gate drive, i.e. the current they latch on at and you may be getting close to this.

Going back through your posts, you mention wanting a faster device and glitches in the contact.
Can you expand how and what you observe?
If it's arcing at the contacts then tpetars suggestion will work, but you may need to make your own snubber as typical ones are for much higher currents and the leakage current through the snubber may partially energise your load.

Not easy. Many factors need to be considered.

Status
Not open for further replies.