Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Micro-controller for beginner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Asgar1975

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Which micro-controller would you recommend for a beginner to start learning to program simple code and how it all works?

Hi Asgar,

Perhaps you could learn something from h**p://www.newbiehack.com/
You can find complete tutorial using ATMEGA32.

I suggest to always reading datasheet for every module you will use.

rgds,

@}=-- Rose.

As a bigginer u just start with some 8 bit controller like 89c51, PIC16F877. You can get tutorials everywhere...

Best of luck

Go with Pic series chips...like pic12f615,pic16f688 etc...Microchip has lot of reference manuals and you will get good support too.Pic is best for a beginner to kickstart .

simplest processor is 8051(89c51), learn basics how a processor works, there are pretty many examples on engineersgarage.com to start up.
There isn't any standard book where you can learn embedded.
" The 8051 Microcontroller and Embedded Systems using Assembly and C -by Moammad Ali Mazidi" is good to start.
Its easier to start programming in C language than assembly language.

Once you have done with that processor start with PIC's , as microchip have a good support !

Hello!

That kind of question has been already extensively answered zillons of times
and it's absolutely impossible to have a really objective answer. Everybody (including me)
has his own bias based on his experience.
Try to search the net or even this forum.

Dora.

According to me u should start with P89V51RD2 controller which provide much facility. having sufficient RAN and ROM also.
based on Basic 80c51 archi.

regards.

Hi,

The point about Arduino is that it is not a microcontroller. It is an open-hardware/open-source project for board and development tools that make learning and creating embedded systems simple. To that extent, it probably meets your needs.Arduino originally used AtmelAVR micro-controllers.

As a beginner you just start with some 8 bit controller like 89c51, PIC12/PIC16.

Best regards,

Thanks a lot for the suggestions and all the information, however Im a bit confused now, I read everywhere that Arduino and Raspberry PI and similar kits are great micro-controller starter kits, but most responses to this thread recommend starting with a PIC, 8051, 8-bit controller. What is the difference and why are PIC/8051 better for learning than Arduino/Raspberry PI??

Which micro-controller would you recommend for a beginner to start learning to program simple code and how it all works?

Thanks a lot for the suggestions and all the information, however Im a bit confused now, I read everywhere that Arduino and Raspberry PI and similar kits are great micro-controller starter kits, but most responses to this thread recommend starting with a PIC, 8051, 8-bit controller. What is the difference and why are PIC/8051 better for learning than Arduino/Raspberry PI??

I join to post #8, you should first use search field on this site, there is many threads with this question.

Additional 8051, AVR, PIC, ARM, ... whatever you choose from these families of µCs you must use some tool to write code. Assembler or hi-level compiler ?

Look to get some decent development board system (lcd, buttons, pot, leds, ....). Arduino is good but I personally always give advantage to real development board.

Best regards,
Peter

Last edited:

Thanks a lot for all the info, now everything starts to make sense :)

Thanks a lot for all the info, now everything starts to make sense :)

Yes friend, take one good book/eBook start reading, when you enter on something interesting and you want to learn more, use Google search engine to find additional informations.

For start here you can find good free eBooks for learning :

https://www.mikroe.com/products/view/476/pic-microcontrollers-programming-in-basic/
https://www.mikroe.com/products/view/11/book-pic-microcontrollers/
https://www.mikroe.com/products/view/285/book-pic-microcontrollers-programming-in-c/
https://www.mikroe.com/products/view/267/architecture-and-programming-of-8051-mcu-s/

Best regards,
Peter

Hello,

For a beginner I would recommend Arduino UNO,low cost,free tools and a lot of good support.
You will be up and running your first program in a short time.

Also check out BascomAVR,demo. Can produce code up to 4kb. Very easy to get started with LCD,servo,A/D converters on Atmel AVR. Attiny 261 and Attiny45 are good starting candidates. Can be built on a breadbord in 30 minutes.

Good luck.

Nils

what ever you start with pic/avr/8051 just don't start with arduino that's my personal advice .. coz you wont be able to learn much starting from arduino
and again personally speaking a good book to start with is " 8051 micro controllers by MAZIDI "

Reactions: tpetar

tpetar

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Hi Asgar!
I would recommend to start with 8051,to be specified as AT89S51, very cheap and easily available. If you are from Pakistan it is available for around PAK RS.110. And the book "8051 micro controllers and embedded systems" by Iranian engineer Muhammad Ali Mazidi and Janice Gallisipi Mazidi is one of the best and easy to understand book to be found in PAKISTAN.The controller used in most of the examples in the book is although not an Atmel device rather its a little advanced version made by DALLAS semiconductor,but you will get going with details easily.In PAKISTAN its available at URDU bazaar,I don't remember the name of the shop but its at the first main road if you come from north side of Urdu bazaar.

Yes friend, take one good book/eBook start reading, when you enter on something interesting and you want to learn more, use Google search engine to find additional informations.

For start here you can find good free eBooks for learning :

https://www.mikroe.com/products/view/476/pic-microcontrollers-programming-in-basic/
https://www.mikroe.com/products/view/11/book-pic-microcontrollers/
https://www.mikroe.com/products/view/285/book-pic-microcontrollers-programming-in-c/
https://www.mikroe.com/products/view/267/architecture-and-programming-of-8051-mcu-s/

Best regards,
Peter

must I also buy their compiler to use their development kit?

must I also buy their compiler to use their development kit?

No. MikroE compilers can be used freely and you can download compilers from their web site, but that is full operational version with code size limit up to 2KB. To make code size over 2KB you need to get licence. Lots starting smaller projects can be done in 2KB.

MikroE have Development system boards and development boards. Dev system boards is key in hand, all is integrated on board from PIC programmer/debugger, LCD, GLCD, TFT, touch, buttons, LEDs, USB,...... to external pins connectors for expanding capabilities of board.

Differences between small development board and development system board are obvious, just see picture of product.

Arduino and rest smaller development boards are half of solution, you need to connect additional devices/parts to board in many cases, plus you dont have programmer on board and you need to go over bootloader, plus you are linked on one particular uC what is very sad. On development system board you have capability to use many even hundreds of microcontrollers products on the same board.

Best regards,
Peter

No. MikroE compilers can be used freely and you can download compilers from their web site, but that is full operational version with code size limit up to 2KB. To make code size over 2KB you need to get licence. Lots starting smaller projects can be done in 2KB.

MikroE have Development system boards and development boards. Dev system boards is key in hand, all is integrated on board from PIC programmer/debugger, LCD, GLCD, TFT, touch, buttons, LEDs, USB,...... to external pins connectors for expanding capabilities of board.

Difference between small development board and development system board are obvious, just see picture of product.

Arduino and rest smaller development boards are half of solution, you need to connect additional devices/parts to board in many cases.

Best regards,
Peter

- - - Updated - - -

plus programmers,....

thank you Peter! btw if I make the project with code size exceed 2k in the future. can I use the free compiler downloaded from somewhere else to work with their kit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back