Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Connecting all three Terminals of transistor Together

Status
Not open for further replies.

kelvinm1125

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
8479853700_1377810815.png

Does anyone know what the attached configuration does? What is the purpose of connecting all four terminals of a MOSFET together? I see this being attached to both Vcc or GND, but can't make out what it does.

It seems that makes no sense, unless your transistor is one of two (or more) transistors housed in the same packege. In this case, I think, the unused transistors could be fully connected to GND (or VCC) to avoid unwanted (or unexpected) behaviour problems. This is more used with opamps to avoid self oscillation (but consider that opamp in the same package share the power supply).

It could be a dummy or a "spares kit" device, unused at
present and tied off so as not to cause trouble but let
LVS pass.

In 1958 my portable AM radio had 6 transistors. Then my friend got one with "12 transistors" embossed on its case.
We looked inside his radio and saw 6 transistors all connected together but not connected to the circuit! CHEATERS

The way you draw this makes no sense. But in case you have it wrong. Transistors are sometimes used for protection. If the voltage on an input gets higher as the voltage rail the transistor goes in conduction and protects the input. They are used with 3 or 2 legs connected. But the connections are not connected with all legs to the same point. Most times two of three are. FETs are sometimes used as current source with gate and source together.

Status
Not open for further replies.