Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Why are poorly supported pcb layout packages so popular?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mtwieg,

In DesignSpark PCB there are two DRC's a real-time (referred to as online) which can be useful but is best used selectively (just a tick from menubar) to avoid constant warnings while trying to move or place something, the second is a 'complete check' that you instigate and you can simply turn on and off the features to check.
So "via-in-pad" should not present you with any issues.

For "soldermask defined pads" you can define this in the Library Manager (as far as I'm aware).
Just remembered this post which may help you.
http://www.designspark.com/eng/knowledge-item/custom-solder-mask-in-designspark-pcb

DesignSpark PCB does not have a "follow-me interactive router".
I do not like any standard autorouters and for my work (mixed signal) I believe the tracking is an essential part of the design process and I like to be aware of where I make a compromise. I am often surprised where autorouters swap layers, insert vias and the route taken, so I'm not sure that DSPCB will meet your expectations here.

DesignSpark PCB is improving at every release which is quite frequent showing excellent support, but for me its key strength is it is a powerful, unrestricted free product for commercial use. Similarly once I have time to learn DesignSpark Mechanical 3D, I think the two programs together will be a unique package.

Reactions: treez

T

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
DesignSpark PCB is improving at every release which is quite frequent showing excellent support, but for me its key strength is it is a powerful, unrestricted free product for commercial use. Similarly once I have time to learn DesignSpark Mechanical 3D, I think the two programs together will be a unique package.

The nature of DesignSpark as an RS Components marketing tool brings advantages and disadvantages, I think. One point is that the terms of trade might be cancelled if it doesn't work as intended.

In any case, you can't exactly compare it with major PCB packages, their free "light" derivatives or genuine open source tools.

Reactions: treez

T

This is now turning into a this software is better than that software, and is not following the original theme of the thread (if it ever has) and is becoming inane in the extreme, please pit us out of our misery.

FvM

T

T5400

I will close this thread. If any one objects, send me a PM with a good reason why it is a worthwhile thread :-?

Keith

Reactions: FvM

FvM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back