Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

USB to PS/2 keyboard converters

Status
Not open for further replies.

FalloutBoy

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

I was wanting to know if there was any form of IC inside of these as I have been reading conflicting reports, some say there is an IC inside the converter under a blob of black stuff, sort of like the IC setup you find in singing greeting cards, others have said you don't need to do anything accept hook the wires from the USB end to the correct lines on the PS/2 connector, and even more controversy abounds about the fact that the keyboards actually have the ability to speak PS/2 or USB as the IC used in them can speak both and auto adjusts.

So now I am really confused, I have a circuit for PS/2 conversion to a non PS/2 computer system which I want to use and of course PS/2 keyboards are harder to come by these days - so I though I'd go for a USB one but if the little adapter green blob thing just transfers wires around the place like some people have said and the keyboard does the work of detecting and adjusting then provided there is no data loss I could wire the keyboard directly into the final adapter.

Does any one know actual facts about these converters as opposed to supposition I.E has anyone actually melted one down and if there is a black blob melted that down to see what's underneath it - I really would like to know what the actual answer is to this one.

Cheers.

when you can get a USB keyboard at reasonable price, , i dont see need to buy and suffer with ps/2 to usb converters

Reactions: IanP

IanP

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
when you can get a USB keyboard at reasonable price, , i dont see need to buy and suffer with ps/2 to usb converters

It's O.K if you want to use the keyboard on a PC but in this case the keyboard will be used on a computer that is not a PC X86/X64 machine through a keyboard converter made for that machine to convert PS/2 keyboards to it's standard, so what I need to know is if I lop the USB connector off the end of the keyboard and hook its wires into the converter for the non PC machine - will it work or will it destroy a valuable piece of antique equipment - thus the question of if the USB keyboard to PS/2 converters available are entirely just a wire re route or if there is an IC involved in their and is the USB keyboard doing some detection work.

Just because USB is cheap doesn't mean it's perfectly suited to every application/occasion.

IanP

Many a time, I had observed that, a ps/2 based keyboard when plugged out and replugged later, while the machine is ON, did not enable the keyboard. A re boot was warranted,
while an USB keyboard always restored the keyboard when ever replugged.

Thus I am doubtful that a pin converter (with only cross wiring inside a converter) would work.

IanP

I think that they are just a pin converter, although I have never opened one up though. I am saying this because they often don't work with certain motherboards but do with others, more often not working than working.

IanP

I think that they are just a pin converter, although I have never opened one up though. I am saying this because they often don't work with certain motherboards but do with others, more often not working than working.

Some keyboards are labeled USB/PS-2, and they have internal interface for both standards – it’s just the matter of the type of connector used.
All other keyboards that are labeled USB (only) will not work with USB-PS/2 pin converter simply because they don’t have anything to do with PS/2 – they are purely USB.
:wink:
IanP

Reactions: tpetar

tpetar

Yes. There are some counterfeit products. we discuss about a genuine product and perhaps discourage our members not to fall for counterfeit ones.
See one fake capacitor photo sold cheaply. downloaded from net.

Attachments

• FakeCapacitor1.jpg
    FakeCapacitor1.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 80

Yes. There are some counterfeit products. we discuss about a genuine product and perhaps discourage our members not to fall for counterfeit ones.
See one fake capacitor photo sold cheaply. downloaded from net.

Its like Kinder Egg, surprising toy is inside. :smile:

- - - Updated - - -

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:USB_2_PS2_adapter_disassembled.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.