Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Relay Coil Spike Suppression

Status
Not open for further replies.

daneloctober

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello again!

This is very elementary but I need more insights since I'm not a power electronics guy...

The problem is, I have this circuit here:

relay circuit.png

Just the encircled part, don't mind the rest...

The mosfet (2N7000) keeps breaking. The relay (NY24WK) coil is rated 24V, at 120mW... So that's about 5mA of coil current, right? The 2N7000 is rated at about 115mA max. I'm really not sure what happens, but after a few switches (SW2+ and SW2- opening and shorting), the mosfet gets busted. I keep reading that the diode should be enough but apparently, in this case, it's not.

What more can I add to protect the mosfet? Thanks very much! :D

1N4001 diode is far to slow.
Use 1N4148 or similar fast switching diode ....
:wink:
IanP

Make sure the current path for the flyback current formed by D4 and the bypass capacitors has low parasitic inductance. If you do that then overshoot shouldn't be a problem. But looking at your circuit I feel your problem isn't overshoot, but rather slow switching times of the FET, especially during turn-off.

But looking at your circuit I feel your problem isn't overshoot, but rather slow switching times of the FET, especially during turn-off.

That's what I think, too. Looking at the datasheets, the 1N4001 has a reverse recovery time of 30us, while the 2N7000 has turn off time of 10ns (well it depends on the conditions... but what the hey).

Should I change the diode as IanP mentioned?...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back