Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

HP 510 Battery Charger selection and calibration help needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

AdvaRes

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all,
I recently aquired a battery for my HP 510 laptop (Reference: HP 510 HSTNN-IB45 HSTNN-C29C). It is a 5200mAh 14.8V replacement battery selected to replace the dead low capacity 2200mAh, 14.8V original battery and to provide longer autonomy. Once the new battery received, I mounted it, plugged the charger and started the laptop. During the first run, I heard some tics for about 2 second. The laptop started normaly and I could use it for about 10 minutes when I saw the laptop charging led turning off. A looked to the charger and I noticed that its power LED was off meaning that no power was being supplied. The charger doesn't smell bad but it was too hot. What I'm sure about is that the charger is damaged but it can be repaired later.
Is that due to the high capacitance of the new battery ?
I kept the charger voltage to 18V as I always did for the old battery. Was this a wrong configuration for the new battery or was it because the charger wattage was too low ?
As I am in the hurry and I have no choice, I decided to buy a new charger. Could you please tell me how to select the ideal charger for the laptop and how long have I to charge the battery ?
Do you have recommendations/Tips to extend the battery life ?

Thank you in advance!

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.