Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Recommended MOSFET Gate Driver and MOSFETs for H-Bridge Motor Controller

Status
Not open for further replies.

jegues

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Evening gents,

I'm trying to pick out MOSFETs along with a MOSFET Gate Driver from International Rectifier that will suit my needs. (See **broken link removed**)

The MOSFETS will be used in an H-Bridge configuration, with the MOSFET Gate Driver driving the gates of each respective MOSFET.

This circuit will be used for a motor controller.

The batteries used to power the motor are Lithium Polymer batteries manufactured by GBS batteries. The batteries have sixteen 3.6V cells connected in series to have a rated voltage of 55V and a capacity of 60Ah.

The motor is a permanent magnet brushed DC motor from Motenergy, model part number ME0708. The motor has a lead to lead resistance of 0.01Ω, and a lead to lead inductance of 0.055mH at 120Hz. The motor is rated for 48V and 100A, but can handle up to 300A for one minute, and has maximum peak torque of 37.8 Nm and maximum rotor speed of 5000rpm.

A switching frequency of ~15kHz is assumed.

The datasheets for both the motor and LiPo battery bank are attached below.

1) What part number MOSFETS would do you recommend I use? Also, for my current requirements (i.e. up to 300A for one minute) should I use multiple MOSFETs in parallel, or opt out for a single MOSFET with higher current carrying capabilities?

2) What part number MOSFET Gate Driver would you recommend I use? Assume the MOSFET Gate Driver will be driven from a 12V supply.

Thanks again for all your help and any suggestions/advice/recommendations you may have for me!

EDIT: What I've found so far,

1) Placing two of these MOSFETs in parallel, http://www.irf.com/product-info/datasheets/data/irfp4468pbf.pdf

Attachments

• ME708_Mech.pdf
    131.8 KB · Views: 98
  • ME708_Perf_Curves.pdf
    36 KB · Views: 83
  • GBS 60AH Specifications.pdf
    266 KB · Views: 143
Last edited by a moderator:

I think SUV90N06-05 should do it.As far as I have seen,mosfets need gate pulse of 20v to operate.so you need to boost the 12v.for h bridge,you also need to isolate the ground for upper two mosfets.For safety you should slowly increase the voltage with the frequency.

Attachments

• suv90n06.pdf
    40.5 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:

The motor is rated for 48V and 100A, but can handle up to 300A for one minute
Hi
if we suppose that you're looking for a mosfet with the same ratings then you can use some IRFZ44 in parallel together or perhaps a single mosfet with higher current handling ability ( or even IGBT would suit your aim too )
For gate driver you can create a floated ground with two different isolated PSU or perhaps using two IR2113 / IR2110 for h bridge .
Driving mosfets in parallel is not a good idea
Who told it is not a good idea ?? of course it is a good idea !
Best Wishes
Goldsmith

Intersil and TI and, I'm sure, others have integrated
H-bridge controllers as well. Most being meant to drive
NMOS high sides (bootstrapped). I'm sure that IR has
a few options but there's more out there, than just
them.

The H-bridge controllers ought to offer you cleaner
control of things like dead time / shoot-through than
a pair of half bridges (where you would have to make
that phasing control yourself, and hope it tracks true
when you start assembling randomly picked units).

if i may,i will use h bridge relay,check the drawing i made for you.... hbridge.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.