Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Suitable development language for BeagleBone Black board.

Status
Not open for further replies.

arbj2

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I am interested in developing programs for BeagleBone Black embedded computer https://beagleboard.org/Products/BeagleBone%20Black. However I would like to know which development language would be most suitable for BBB ? I have zeroed in on these choices.

1. Python
2. Bonescript
3. C/C++

I intend to develop commercial (for industrial use) products on BBB, in this regard C/C++ looks suitable, but have a steeper learning curve, I see that python and bonescripts are also appealing as they are easy to understand and code also support for python is very good.

Bonescript (based on javascript) is still under development but most of the libraries to generate PWM pulses, I2c, SPI access and general interrupt handling have already been developed. But javascript as programming language for embedded systems is still a new concept, I am not sure how popular the language would be.

thanks
a

Your experience and comfort level with a language should play a large role in your choice.

If you have previous experience with C/C++ Linux development and are comfortable with using it as a development language, you should find the differences marginal.

On the other hand if you lack any previous C/C++ Linux development, you may want to consider Python which is the next widely used language out of the three.

Of course Bonescript should be easy enough for you to learn and can be used to quickly development many simple tasks.

At this point in the game, I tend to avoid the need to familiarize myself with new niche languages and utilize my decades of experience with C/C++ and fallback on scripting languages like Python if need be.

Although this is my personal preferences and may not be the optimal choice for yourself.

You may find it advantageous to get your feet wet with Bonescript and after you have familiarized yourself with the BeagleBone Black platform branch out with Python or C/C++.

Either way, I am sure you will find the BeagleBone Black as great development platform as I have.

I just ordered my third unit and several more capes.

BigDog

great..thanks for the reply.

Are cape boards essential for beaglebone ??, Can external hardware like stepper motors, sensors etc, with suitable voltage level translation be directly connected to the beaglebone??

Are cape boards essential for beaglebone ??, Can external hardware like stepper motors, sensors etc, with suitable voltage level translation be directly connected to the beaglebone??

No cape boards are not essential for the BeagleBone.

With proper voltage level translation one could simply breadboard their peripheral components.

BigDog

thanks again BigDog

I found this link, which shows how GPIOs can be setup in pythin, and also set high or low https://www.nathandumont.com/node/250

It seems files are used to control GPIOs in the BBB, is this fast when implemented in Python ? Is it possible to generate a fast stream of pulse on a GPIO ??

Say the high time and low time of the pulse is 1 micro-second long, is this possible in BBB ??

I think there must be some limit as writing to files will take some time...

I know there are several PWM channels on the BBB, but If I want to do this on a GPIO is this possible ??

thanks
a

Status
Not open for further replies.