Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Are we irreversibly trapped to ARM architecture ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

andre_luis

Super Moderator
Staff member
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Dear friends,

Since my first contact to microprocessor world - ocurred more than 15 years ago with 8 bit cores - I never noticed so expressive domination of an core model as we can observe notably with the ARM trend.

I´m not attacking this brand, even because it is amazing the relation of price and cost of some 32 bits microcontrollers, such as M3 ARM11 and A8. However, due almost of all portable devices are based on the ARM, I´m a little bit confused if in long term the absence of competition at this market corner could become a positive condition.

Once more, I wish highlight that I´m not making an advertisement in favor or in oposite, but just thinking about, and would like hear more opinions about. There are some new emerging architecture growing up ?

+++

If you dont like ARM architecture ... you can use MIPS

nothing is forever

look at the PC architecture

or phone OS

or almost any hardware platform

all change at some point

If you dont like ARM architecture ... you can use MIPS

Hi yura,

The raised question was not properly related to the preference for certain architecture, but the visible market domination of ARM brand over others.

+++

Hi yura,
The raised question was not properly related to the preference for certain architecture, but the visible market domination of ARM brand over others.
+++
I understand you ... but everything about money ... who is going invest in new architecture?

Exactly,

I noticed the last 3 development Kits I had purchased was exactly ARM-based ( Cortex -M3 , ARM11 , Cortex -A8 ).

In the past, concerning to top line platforms, there was more variety in core options set ( MSP430, TMS320, etc... ) and currently it makes no sense spent some money or time developing at those hardware platforms.

+++

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back