Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

High Speed Counting Project (Using CIS sensor, FPGA, and image processing)

Status
Not open for further replies.

shatruddha

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi All
Recently I was discussing with my friend about an issue that he was having in his company. He needs a very high speed counting system. So I suggested him to go for CIS sensor and FPGA. Do some Image processing and do the counting.
After some more discussion, I myself took up the challange and thought of delivering him the final product.

So here is the problem statement :

I need to count small objects (say a circular object with 50mm diameter). I will sense the object using a line sensor and create an image of it over time. Using FPGA I will do the reading from sensor and process the data and provide the exact count.

Now for counting, I'm still in the process of developing some algorithm. I thought of counting based on area. Say with some learning, I get a threshold value of area occupied by an object. And every time area goes beyond threshold, I increment the count. But there is a catch, Sometimes objects are in touch with each other. So in that case I was counting 2 objects as single quantity, since in image I was not getting a boundary for them.
Now as I think, I see that I should go on with something like contour matching or some other algorithm. So may be I can get help here towards finalising the algorithm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back