Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Prospects of Short range communication--60Ghz/ MM-wave /visible light communication

Status
Not open for further replies.

liudehua

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
From my current understanding, it is now mainly for cable replacement, which to me is kind of useless. should i study in this field for my PHD? thanks

there are some military and commercial bands around that freq, and lot research going at mm wave freq, specially around 77GHz and 110 GHz etc. I think its good to go for PHd in those freq ranges but i suggest to choose carefully what field u want to go for,. Industrial oriented fields give good scope for immediate placement for Job..!!

Regarding your remark that using microwaves for cable replacement, why do you think this is useless?
Just to let you know before you start doing your PHD, until now, humanity spent billions and billions of dollars on this topic.

i guess, you should not study this field for your phd. maybe a topic on optimization of phonebooth placement in metropols, removal of basestations will make some naturalist happy. or placing public rj245 posts jags around cities rather than wireless modems, even a better topic could be a high speed radhard fiber cable to mars so can curiosity can send data through it. furthermore, cable companies would love to make those thing happen and they will pay just too much if any of these topics succeeds.
sorry for my clumsy idiom.

becos a cable would at most costly you a dollar. why spend billions of money on removing such cheap cables?:razz:

76GHz area is commonly used for anti collision systems in motor vehicles over recent years

Dave

becos a cable would at most costly you a dollar. why spend billions of money on removing such cheap cables?:razz:
"Cheap Cables" for 60GHz ? Oh really..?
I'm keen to pay 100$/meter..

I asked because u do not seem to have any fundamental engineering "common sense". If you can not see a market application for this new technology, I would recommend a PHD in something other than engineering, you are not suited for it.

I asked because u do not seem to have any fundamental engineering "common sense". If you can not see a market application for this new technology, I would recommend a PHD in something other than engineering, you are not suited for it.

this seems to be an ever increasing problem on various forums I participate on.
People who are supposed to have degrees in electronics engineering ( or some variation of) and they don't even know the basics
Makes one wonder what is ( or isn't) being taught at some of these so called universities ??

this is the second thread in as many days that you have made a similar comment on ;)

Dave

U have graduate degree or post graduate degree ??

i graduated from a lowsy university from Singapore,a small place. please don't despise me becos of my origin and poor mastery of enginnering "common sense". i am a poor newbie, please give me some advice on the prospects of the MM wave/60Ghz technology:oops:

Hi Liudehua

sorry if I sounded a bit harsh. Pease dont take it personally, it isnt directed at you but rather against the so called education systems around the world.

Dave

well, if you decided not to develop a cable to mars then,
60ghz will probably become more important as smallcells, femtocells etc and internet of everything markets grove. things as small as your wifi modems will start to act as tiny base stations. 60ghz links can find themselves a place at those future developments

Reactions: liudehua

liudehua

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
    V

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
well, if you decided not to develop a cable to mars then,
60ghz will probably become more important as smallcells, femtocells etc and internet of everything markets grove. things as small as your wifi modems will start to act as tiny base stations. 60ghz links can find themselves a place at those future developments

if the corresponding chips are not well adopted by the industry, would i be able to find a job after i graduate with PHD in about 5 years time? thanks:grin:

- - - Updated - - -

Hi Liudehua

sorry if I sounded a bit harsh. Pease dont take it personally, it isnt directed at you but rather against the so called education systems around the world.

Dave

i am fine. don't worry about it! could u pls give me some insights then?

hi,

i think i know which university you're in and which prof you're thinking of working with. i contemplated with this topic but it's more than what it seems. pm me and i'll tell you more because my research area is in the 60GHz applications now.

read the link for more information

**broken link removed**

natnoraa

I have already given my view on this area of technology, but i think u should spend a little more time strengthening ur base b4 u go for Phd. Coz once in u should be able to handle the pressure too ..@@

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back