Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Junction Temperature calculation of LM317 using surface temperature rise

Status
Not open for further replies.

knikhil271083

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,
I am using LM317MQDCYR from TI as a current limiter in my circuit. I want to estimate the Junction temperature of LM317 when it is limiting the current. I have measured the top surface temperature rise above ambient of LM317. I have Θja from the datasheet of LM317 and maximum power being dissipated in LM317.
I can use the formula Pd = (Tj - Tamb) / Θja to theoretically estimate the junction temperature, but how can I estimate the junction temperature practically if I have the top surface temperature rise figure available.

Any pointers to the solution would be appreciated.

Regards
Nikhil

The top surface is a poor place to measure, it has the
most convection-variable temperature. The base or
tab is better by far, especially on a plastic package.
If you get a case measurement then you can use the
thetaJC number without as much uncertainty.

The thermal metric Psi-jt (Junction to top of Package) has been adopted by the industry (EIA/JESD 51-2) which helps to estimate the junction temperature of component based on the surface temperature and power dissipated.
The actual junction temperature can be very easily estimated using the equation;
Tjun = Tcase + (Psi-jt x Power) where Psi-jt is in oC/W and can be found in datasheets or from the IC manufacturer.

Regards
Nikhil

Means you are using datasheet θjc value as ψjt estimation?

Last edited:

Means you are using datasheet θjc value as ψjt estimation?

No. The value of ψjt was not given in the datasheet. I found it on the TI E2E community forum. Somebody had already asked for the details and it was posted on TI forum.
As I said earlier, if its not given in datasheet, contact the manufacturer for the values.

Just out of curiosity, at which value did the arrive?

Status
Not open for further replies.