Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Unsoldering Long 0.100" Headers

Status
Not open for further replies.

iceblu3710

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
What is the best way to unsolder a bunch of 0.100" header strips and DIP IC's without damaging the PCB substrate/lifting pads??

I have tried solder braid and I can get 90% of the bulk off but the small amount left can can be removed. I have tried hot air rework but on 20+ pins you need to sweep back and forth and the PCB heats up to much before the solder melts.

What are some alternative methods?

i use solder braid and a solder sucker for what remains

Thats all I do on my own projects but this is a bunch of Chinese manufactured stuff I am repurposing. Its leaded solder but it takes at least three times as long to melt and the solder sucker can not get a clear hole unless its totally seated over an empty pad and can **** right through it.

Maybe the tolerances are too tight combined with cheap solder is making this very difficult. I had one board with a row of headers very close to the edge and the head gun de-laminated the board on the edge.

At the cost of the header, I will remove the plastic part then apply new solder to one pin while pulling it using tweezers from the other side of the board.

This allows each pin to be removed.

Then use solder braid to remove solder.

DIP ICs can be done using a similar divide-and-conquer approach if they won't be reused. I use a Dremel with a cutoff wheel to cut the pins where they enter the package. Then heat and pull the pins individually, and clean up the holes afterwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back