Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

crest factor in inverter

Status
Not open for further replies.

graha

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

i want to find the crest factor of an inverter. is it possible to find crest factor in ongrid inverter?? pls help me.

thanks in advance.

Hi,

Crest Factor = Peak Current / RMS Current. In a linear load, the Crest Factor is 1.414. However, in a general purpose SMPS, due to its non linear nature, this factor will be much higher - in the region of up to 4.

See if you can measure the current using a CRO/DSO by putting a small resistor but having higher wattage in line. Then measure voltage across it, adjust the scale of the CRO/DSO in such a way that V/R = I, you'll get the current in the CRO/DSO. Then get the peak value of it and knowing the rms, you can get the crest factor.

However, there are instruments which can measure CF.

Reactions: graha

graha

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
is that crest factor is an important factor in ongrid inverter??

Some loads like PC, IT equipments, switching equipments, servers etc have high crest factors. The crest factor requirement of a computer load does vary depending on the source which it is supplied from.

The fact that virtually all equipment installed in data centers today such as servers, routers, and storage devices are power factor corrected has virtually eliminated crest factor as a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.