Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] TPIC6B595 (shift register) with TIP41C (power transistor) for LED Strip

Status
Not open for further replies.

iruraz

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi All,

I try to switch 5 separate led strip (one of them is 40cm). 1 meter one chip red-led strip draws ~400mA. I have TPIC6B595 and TIP41C. I intended to use only TPIC6B595 but it is capacity out of range (it is 150mA continuous current) but ic heated too much and. Is it possible to use TPIC6B595 with TIP41C? TPIC6B595 is controlled by Arduino-Uno. Or is it possible to connect arduino to TIP41C directly?

Another question: According to TPIC6B595's datasheet, current range is 150mA. Is it for every seperate pin? (it has 8 pins, 8 x 150mA = 1,2A) Or is it for total range of pins? Picture is below from TPIC6B595 datasheet. And my "symbolic" circuit.

Regards.

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

Last edited:

I tried to this circuit below today with breadboard. And it worked without problem. I connected TIP41C to Arduino directly via 1k resistor.

Regards.

**broken link removed**

You can use ULN2803 instead of five TIP41C , contains an array of 8 Darlington with TTL/CMOS input , 500 mA each output , 2.5 A overall but it's fine since you use only five outputs. No need for R1 resistors.

Last edited:

You can use ULN2803 instead of five TIP41C , contains an array of 8 Darlington with TTL/CMOS input , 500 mA each output , 2.5 A overall but it's fine since you use only five outputs. No need for R1 resistors.

@mdorian, thanks for your response. As you mentioned ULN2803 can be used. But I have many TPIC41C and Arduino's pins. Every circuits which I saw during my searching have resistor before bias. As far as I understand it is an obligation for limiting current.

Regards.

Status
Not open for further replies.