Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Any cheap Raspberry-like design w/ Video INPUT ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

andre_luis

Super Moderator
Staff member
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I wish know if there are avaliable to sell some development Kit such as RASPBERRY PI MODEL B ( which can OUTPUT video RCA ), but also with video INPUT ?

+++

Never hear of that, I once had such application, but instead streamed the video over IP, then decode it and handle it with any embedded system without video in/out.

It's a pity, but I´ll keep waiting for someone bring us with a fresh good news !

+++

A 5 megapixel camera module, which supports 1080p30, 720p60 and 640x480p60/90 video, has been released for the Raspberry Pi:

Raspberry Pi Camera Module

It's a bit late since you've already purchased the pcDuino, however perhaps you can hack an interface to the pcDuino and port the software library.

I have attached the full datasheet for the OV5647 used in the module.

BigDog

Attachments

• ov5647_full.pdf
    2.4 MB · Views: 70
...Raspberry Pi Camera Module...It's a bit late since you've already purchased the pcDuino, however perhaps you can hack an interface to the pcDuino and port the software library

Hi Big,

I´m considering at this project to use just standard cheap commercial devices, in order to avoid be tied to a reduced set of brands or suppliers. Based on this concept, Raspberry Pi Camera Module approach, even under custom manufacture, pehaps wouldn t decrease much bellow ~USD20.

Other point is that once target application is related not to enterteinment but to automation, a higher resolution is not required, and even an VGA(640x480) or SVGA(320x240) cameras could fit to the image requirements.

Anyway, thanks a lot for the valuable suggestion.

+++

Last edited:

The Pi is a very expensive option for anything other than 1 off hobby type work.
My advice would be to go to made-in-china or alibaba and search for terms like "embedded controler" etc.
Take the manufacturers web sites and go direct to look. Then use yahoo to try and find
local supplier of something similar or even an importer from there.
If you are doing a lot of control work I can recommend the modules from here : https://www.4dsystems.com.au/products/
But I dont think they do video i/o as yet.

Hi Jack,

I´m aware that Raspberry or PCduino must be commercially undestood as a "design concept" and not as a competitive product itself.
They use minimalist hardware circuits, becoming excelent candidates to work as prototypes.

However, if we consider to produce not too many customised products dedicated to specific applications, I see that ebay products perfectly as part of the BOM, ready to be integrated do final product.

+++

There are, theoretically at least, USB video capture devices you could plug into a Pi.

However, it appears that 99% of what's out there now is from some number of clone manufacturers; whose products look identical from the outside, but internally use different chipsets which may or may not be properly supported in Linux. And even if you order one that works, if you later order more from the same vendor, you may in fact get a different product.

If anyone knows where to get such a device that is guaranteed to work, I'd be very interested.

...There are, theoretically at least, USB video capture devices you could plug into a Pi...

In fact, we can connect cheap USD 1,50 USB Webcams at Raspberry PI, however such cabling cannot exceed a lengh nearly 6m.
Even good brand Webcams presents unstable working at this distance.

...whose products look identical from the outside, but internally use different chipsets...
If anyone knows where to get such a device that is guaranteed to work, I'd be very interested.

If you are talking about PCduino, I don´t agree with that statement.
As said previously, it is a minimalist design with few known components, and even at clones, any difference would become device unfunctional.

+++

I recently came across this supposed Open Source design with both HDMI in/out capability:

Wizarm PVR MediaBox Features Samsung Exynos 5250 Processor

Wizarm is fully open source with a monthly independent and rewarded dev contest as an incentive
to bring creativity around its hardware magic. Rooted out of the box and super easy (4 screws)
to access either the Mainboard or the SATA3 SSD HDD bay on the other side. Completely silent
with a passive cooling system.

While it is certainly not in the Raspberry Pi price range they do offer a possibility of receiving a free unit:

Get a WizARM for free?

Do you own a popular website or do you have a massive social network? If that's your case,
then the chance are high that you could simply win a free Wizarm. At the end of the indiegogo
campaign, we will announce the TOP5 referrers. Those 5 best referrers will get a Wizarm for FREE!
Please make sure that you are logged in to Indiegogo — that's the only way we can track how
many people follow the links you share! Share the Wizarm page on twitter, facebook, google+
or any way you want to use the links right below the video.

Perhaps they would consider assistance from another developer.

BigDog

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back