Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Current limiting resistor

Status
Not open for further replies.

umashankar

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Dear All,

Why we need a current limiting resistor for a LED circuit ?

i am using a LED Circuit for Standby purpose , Which can be controlled by a transistor switch .
i kept the LED and a current limiting resistor on collector side of the transistor, once if the transistor is ON
the LED will glow , if its in OFF the LED remains in OFF.

Here the LED is in front of the resistor,the other end of the LED has been tied to VCC.

will it cause any issue, can you pls help me to sort out this ?

Ref : Schematic attached

Hello
first something wrong with your attachment because i cannot see it ,
as a matter for the limiting resistor , we use it so the LED wont burn due to over current , also to protect the outputs of the connected devices at time when it does not support large current
as far as i know , your LED will not need resistor if the applied voltage is just above the forward bias voltage, however it is not recommended to use a LED without a current limiting resistor.
Regards

Dear All,

i am using a LED Circuit for Standby purpose , Which can be controlled by a transistor switch .
i kept the LED and a current limiting resistor on collector side of the transistor, once if the transistor is ON

Here the LED is in front of the resistor,the other end of the LED has been tied to VCC.
i

Hi, resistor is used to control the input current into the LED. High current will damage LED.

Dear All,

ThanX for the reply,

Status
Not open for further replies.