Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

LP2950-50 running hot!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pha5e

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
LP2950-50 LDO regulator running hot!

I am using an LP2950-50 LDO (5V) regulator to drop a 12V DC supply to 5V. The load current is approximately 50mA. The regulator is reaching temperatures of around 50°C (122°F)? The rated output current of the regulator is 100mA.

For some reason, the regulator is only outputting 4.86V now. It was outputting 5V earlier? Is this due to heat damage?

Thanks.

Last edited:

You didn't tell which package you are using. But 50 mA output should be feasible unless the ambient temperature is elevated.

You didn't tell which package you are using. But 50 mA output should be feasible unless the ambient temperature is elevated.

Sorry, it's a TO-92 device. Ambient temperature is approximately 20°C (68°F). There is no input filter capacitor however, I don't think this would cause the excessive heat?

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.