Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

"HOT-COLD GAP" meaning?

Status
Not open for further replies.

izzati_2607

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi, what does HOT-COLD Gap means in PCB making terms. Is it the pattern-pattern gap at certain schematic portion?

I am not familiar with the term but I would think that it is the gap between high and low voltage circuitry.
High voltage being hot, low voltage being cold.

Unless it is something to do with the manufacturing process itself.

Either way - it must be a really old term.

Interesting one. I googled for this and found this article to be most useful to answer your question : http://matse1.matse.illinois.edu/sc/b.html

Hot-Cold gap is the difference in conductivity of a conductor when stressed in various differnt temperatures.

Your views please :)

I would go with voltages and protection, SELV, IMO it is a reference to creepage and clearance distances. For 99.99% of PCBs the temp range they work at will not affect conductivity that much that it becomes a concern.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back