Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

A Simple GPS Transmitter Working on Waste RF Energy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Victor43

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello.

I am not an engineer nor an expert in RF technologies whatsoever but would like to know if there are any engineers out there that can tell me if it is possible to design a very simple GPS Transmitter/Tracker chip that uses only Wast RF Energy ? This transmitter would be very simple no data storage needed just transmit its coordinates and a IMEI embedded ID when requested. No SIM card needed. Only a portable smart phone would do the tracking no web based service needed.

I do not know if the existing wireless signals have enough power in them to be a source of voltage for this very basic chip/transmitter. I understand also that the existing RF energy will differ where you are whether in the city or outside perhaps in the mountains.

Is there ample voltage in the Waste RF Energy to power a very simple GPS Chip ? I have contacted several Chinese companies to inquire whether they can do this and so far none of them are able to do this for us.

Any ideas or thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks

Victor

This is a very common question

the amount RF available for harvesting is absolutely tiny
unless you live VERY close to a high power commercial radio or TV transmitter,
the RF field is only in microVolts (uV). You are not going to power a LED lamp with
this let alone a transmitter

Dave

I fully agree with davenn and mtwieg, it is not going to work under normal conditions (except the high power case given by davenn).

Many people read the forum and some may try to lure you into some contract for final development or other nonsense. In the end they have the money and you have nothing.

Ignoring the power supply issue, you need to be aware that GPS in the context of your question is a receiver only device. It can't transmit anything over RF. Satellites in space send out RF signals which GPS 'module' receives and then works out your location on the planet.

In order to transmit data from your unit to a PC, or PDA or Mobile Phone over RF you'll also need either Bluetooth Low Energy (up to 50m), normal Bluetooth (up to 100metres using Class 1), or WiFi (up to 300metres) or a GPRS module (sends data over a 2G/3G or 4G Cellular Network as TCP/IP data), or if the unit is located in a very remote area away from civilisation, you'll need a Satellite Modem for a TCP/IP connection (listed in order of lowest Power consumption to highest). Other RF technologies like Zigbee need a dongle fitted to the receiving unit.

Ignoring the power supply issue, you need to be aware that GPS in the context of your question is a receiver only device. It can't transmit anything over RF. Satellites in space send out RF signals which GPS 'module' receives and then works out your location on the planet.
snip

Thanks for adding that Rob

I also meant to elaborate on that but got sidetracked with the no energy to harvest thing

That is also a common misunderstanding amongst people

cheers
Dave

This is a very common question

the amount RF available for harvesting is absolutely tiny
unless you live VERY close to a high power commercial radio or TV transmitter,
the RF field is only in microVolts (uV). You are not going to power a LED lamp with
this let alone a transmitter

Dave

You guys rock totally. That was the answer that I was looking for. It makes sense when you think about even a basic transmitter with limited functions needs a minimum amount of steady power in order to power itself.

Thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back