Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Why is it hard to make a running robot ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HiQ

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
robotics forum

I never made a real robot myself,but i'm curious as to why is it hard to make a runing robot? With the right feedback & programs it should'nt be dificult.?

Re: robotics forum

I think it is because building a robot is not just a mtter of eedback and programming. But the most important is the mechanics of the robot itself.If the mechanics is not good, then no matter how good is your program the result won't be like what you want.

robotics forum

And also many developers are trying to build robots to move like humans..... which makes both mechanical and electronics much difficult.

to build some robots all you have to do is learning mechanical, electronic, and software. I suggest to you to learn microcontroller first. because it's the "brain" of robot and it's very easy to get some informations, tutorials and projects on the net. For example choose a microcontroller that's can be compiled with high language like c, basic, etc, because i think its very difficult to learn assembly. As for the electronics you can learn it paralell with the microcontroller. If want to try some projects of microcontroller, you will have to learn about electronics too. there are a lot of electronics projects on the net.

"Running robot" has to many variables to be taken into account and contemporary sensors+microcontrollers+"something that executes commands" can not yet handle this complex system.
I believe in the (near or far) future this will be resolved somehow ...

The critical problem of running robot is the problem of stability. It is a very complex multi-body mechanism, the analysis of its dynamics is very difficult. In Japan it is implemented. But it is a very big project and cost many money and resources. It is not easy as you think.

it not tough to build a robot. all that u need to know is programming for MCU and basic mechanics. a little kowledge about interfacing is essential. biulding a robot from scratch is great.

robotics forum

I need robotics layout or robotics meterai book for students (2 hours/week as long as 16 weeks)

Anyone who tells you that building a bipedal
walking/running robot is easy must either be
an idiot or a liar. Just think about everything
that is involved in balance.

Push your keyboard away from you and stand
up very slowly. Now stand still and try to get an
idea about all of the different muscles that are
being used at the same time just to keep you
from falling over. There is a very good reason
that it takes companies such as Honda, Fujitsu,
Sony, etc tens of millions of dollars to develop
their humanoid bipeds. It ain't easy! :|

Nick

Here is an alternative approach in building bipedal robots. Both mechanics and control system are simple.

Everything seems difficult in the beginning. If you haven't started yet, just give it a try. In this way you will learn robotic design.

very useful for biped robot

how many freedom of biped robot you built?the more freedom the difficult to balance and the more expensive

Added after 7 minutes:

our lab have used 24 degree freedom to build a human robot. but It can walk very slowly.also the balance problem is not easy to solve.

robotics forum

mechanism is the backbone of biped.it is the most important part of biped robot. balance problem is difficult espeically during dynamic pace.

robotics forum

my idea is that each "foot" of the robot should have 3 points that touch the ground. When that foot is in the air,it should be disenganged from the mechanical actuators and alowed to move freely on a ball joint.Only after all three points of the foot hit the ground should it's position be noted as well as all the info from the giroscopes.Only after the next jump is planed and calculated should the actuators engange (by EM clutch?) and execute the jump.Does that make sense?

robotics forum

You can not surely to make all 3 points touch the groud all together due to the mechanical error and the unknown ground.

robotics forum

the unknown ground & the prohibitively complex calculations are the reasons why the foot should be let "loose" untill it's firmly on the ground (3 points touching) Only then should the info from sensors & gyro's be taken into account to calculate the position,bearing & speed of the robot for the purpose of calculating and executing the next jump.

robotics forum

another big problem is that what height your robot built,taking the motor into count.And how do you choose the drive motor when you consider both the torque and speed.I think it's diffcult.I think the harmonic drive is considerable.

robotics forum

I think the you should use sensors.

Status
Not open for further replies.