Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Amber LEDs can't handle the same current as white leds...why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

treez

Page 9 of the Cree XP-E LED datasheet shows that the amber version of the XP-E LED can only handle 500mA, wheras the white version can handle 1A.....they are packaged the same, so why can the amber LED version only run half the current that the white LED can?

XP-E LED datasheet:
**broken link removed**

I would hazard a guess that it is mostly due to the different semiconductor material or substrate.

Reactions: treez

T

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
thanks,it seems strange though, because for many years, red and amber were the only colours that could be obtained for power leds...so its strange that now white led is so far advanced than reds and amber leds in terms of power capability

It's blue that is more advanced in power I suppose, rather than white. I don't think it surprising that a lot of development effort has gone into blue/white given the potential applications of white(ish) light.

I recall years ago making my own flashlights from high power red LEDs, long before white LEDs came along. When white did become available, I couldn't wait to get my hands on some for making flashlights. I made my own white LED flshlight before they were commercially available.

It is area illumination, rather than simple indicator use, that is driving white LED development. That demands high power.

Of course, there are applications for high power coloured LEDs (traffic lights, automotive, aviation, etc) but white is where the most money is.

Reactions: treez

T

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back