Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to deal with unused IC pins in pcb designs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tR|GG3rX

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
unused pins

hi,

how to deal with unused IC pins in pcb designs. just leave it unconnected? will it affect other circuitries on the same pcb?

Re: unused pins

Search this forum for: unused AND pins
You will fnd a lot of ideas on this subject.

My practice is to leave them alone unless there is a reason to connect them to Vcc or GND.

The usual guidelines are:

Unused input pins: connect go ground
Unused output pins: leave them floating

Hi,
I agree with Andy here. It is important to prevent your inputs from floating.

It is dangerous to leave input pins floating, specially if you have multiple gates and a noisy board. You will get some difficult problems to solve when you start debugging your design.

BR,
/Farhad

farhada said:
Hi,
I agree with Andy here. It is important to prevent your inputs from floating.

It is dangerous to leave input pins floating, specially if you have multiple gates and a noisy board. You will get some difficult problems to solve when you start debugging your design.

And what about bi-directional pins? ;-)

It strongly depends on I/O ports schematic of target IC. Most of modern IC have internal weak pull-down (pull-up) on all pins, so you can easy leave them unconnected and simplify task for your PCB designer.

As to any particular IC - you have ALWAYS check with its datasheet/app.notes - there is no generic answer for this question.

unused pins

Yes,
That is true for a lot of ICs, but I normally connect them to the ground if they are not used, just to be safe!
And for the IOs, most of the time, I put a 10k pulup to the VCC, but in most of the designs I have been involved in, the board was for very complex devices or for hobby! In both cases, adding a few resistors or a couple of ground pins doesn't matter that much.

BR,
/Farhad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back