Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Relay for switching 120vac circuit triggered via 120vac resistive load?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RP55

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Is there a way (relay or other) to have a resistive AC load (120vac) trigger another circuit branch switch without affecting the resistive load? In other words, if I put the coil of an AC relay (high impedance) in series with my resistive load, then no current will flow thru the load (which is what I don't want.... I want the load to continue working). Is there a low impedance version of a relay I can use in this high current scenario? I need to keep the circuits separate, hence the relay.

Is the only option to go active components (i.e. triac's, etc)?

What do you want?

I have two 100w lightbulbs (labeled 1 & 2) on a 120vac power source. They share a spdt switch such that either bulb 1 comes on or the other (bulb 2) depending on the switch position. Simple. I want to modify it as follows:

If bulb 1 is on, then bulb 2 is off. That's obviously built in. And i want that.
But if bulb 2 is on, I want bulb 1 to also be on.

I mistakingly thought that by using an AC relay in series (i.e. the relay coil) with bulb 2 I could close the bulb 1 switch. But I realized that the high impedance of the relay will not allow bulb 2 to light up continuously.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back