Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What is the totem-pole?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LU_CS

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi, could anyone explain me what is a totem pole, and how does it works? Please, i need it in a simple and clear explanation.

Although a half-bridge is commonly thought of as a totem-pole...

I saw one definition, which said a totem-pole is more properly distinguished, as having two or more components which can permit current to flow through all of them in the same direction.

Example: triple-input 'AND' gate made from transistors:

3917990200_1369454609.png

Reactions: LU_CS

LU_CS

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Schematics of 3 input NOR gate with totem-pole output:
totem-pole-out-put-triple-input-nor-gate-schematic.png

Although a half-bridge is commonly thought of as a totem-pole...

I saw one definition, which said a totem-pole is more properly distinguished, as having two or more components which can permit current to flow through all of them in the same direction.

Example: triple-input 'AND' gate made from transistors:

3917990200_1369454609.png

Hi, would we say that i have a circuit with SG3524, like the datasheet test circuit, for example and i want to feed some LEDs with the pwm from the outputs. What would be the advantage using the totem pole circuit?

The totem pole can both sink and source current, whereas the SG3524 output can do only one - sink or source. So, you have to rely on a resistor to do the other. If you configure the SG3524 output to sink current, you rely on a pull-up resistor to source current. If you configure the SG3524 output to source current, you rely on a pull-down resistor to sink current. If you use the totem-pole, you don't need to rely on the pull-up/pull-down resistor and that gives you advantage in better current handling, better driving of capacitive loads, MOSFETs, etc.

Hope this helps.
Tahmid.

Reactions: LU_CS

LU_CS

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
The totem pole can both sink and source current, whereas the SG3524 output can do only one - sink or source. So, you have to rely on a resistor to do the other. If you configure the SG3524 output to sink current, you rely on a pull-up resistor to source current. If you configure the SG3524 output to source current, you rely on a pull-down resistor to sink current. If you use the totem-pole, you don't need to rely on the pull-up/pull-down resistor and that gives you advantage in better current handling, better driving of capacitive loads, MOSFETs, etc.

Hope this helps.
Tahmid.

Could you post a schematic of a circuit with the SG3524 and the totem pole, in a manner that could be possible to reproduce in a breadboard?Because i am a beginner on eletronics. Would be very helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.