Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

vu meter led bar graph

Status
Not open for further replies.

kik

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
good morning sir/madam
im looking to creat a led bar graph that can show me when the voltage of the power is high or low i used lm3914 and its working when i was a potentiometer but the problem is when i delete this component it doesnt work correctly bceause in reality the voltage of my circuit will turn up and down and i think that i dont need the potentiometer and this is my shematic. the highest voltage is 120v
bar.jpg
all my regards sir and thanks for helping me

no sir i will not apply 120 v directly to the lm3914 input the 120v i will recieve to the input of first resistor(900k) and i will decrease the voltage to check my bar graph and for the Lm3914 i will apply 9V
thank you for helping me

any one help me please??

you need a diode bridge to rectify your ac signal, then a capacitor to filter it, then a voltage divider with two resistors, and then to your lm3914

can you help me with schematic??
and im soory for missunderstanding because my english is not good
and thank you for interresting

if you don't know what a diode bridge is, then I don't want you to play with 120v voltages : it can kill you !
google and wikipedia are your friends on that.

i know what is it a diode bridge sir and i think that i dont need it because my signal is all time positive its between 0v and 120v

please somebody help me with shematics

- - - Updated - - -

please somebody help me with shematics

Don't connect Adj to ground
If your signal is ac rectify and if dc only use voltage divider
your input signal must be 0<input<adj;

Attachments

• bar graph.rar
    13.7 KB · Views: 194

yes sir my signal is between 0<signal<120v
thank you again for helping me and i hope that it work in reality because it work fine on isis

my circuit work fine in isis but when i realize it with real component it doesn't work i don't know where is the problem and this is my circuit
please anyone help me i need this project so much and theres another problem is when i connect +9 for lm3914 and leds the first 3 leds glow so much and the other leds nver glow with the voltage of the audio amplifer
all my regards

Attachments

• bar led.rar
    14 KB · Views: 190
Last edited:

Why are you doing stupid things . In my last thread i told you not to ground adj? Follow my schematic

for audio signals you should use the lm3915 as it changes by log levels. lm3914 is linear and won't be ok
see here : **broken link removed**

thank you all for helping me
but please someone help me with shematic and i wish that this shematic works because really i don't like to give up

I made a similar project, using a 3914 IC to indicate mains ACV via 10 led's.
I used a step-down transformer, because I did not believe it is wise to risk exposing components to high voltage.

The transformer was inside a power supply, obtained at a bargain price from All-Electronics (mail order supply). I had purchased several different wall-warts for a dollar or two each.

i see that no body can help me to realize my home project
can i ask you at least to get details about the circuit how can i build something like this using diodes??vu meter tower.jpg

After buying a 3914 IC, I experimented with it by hooking up ten led's (just like the datasheet shows).

I made it into a bargraph voltmeter for my car. It took a lot of adjusting and troubleshooting, for me to get it to work right, and for the led's to light up in sequence, in the voltage steps that I wanted them to.
It should not be hard for you to make the same project. Then after that, you jump from that configuration, to one that measures mains AC (stepped down through a transformer for safety reasons).

One thing that is worth trying is to get an expanded scale reading. This means that led's light up only when the supply is within a range of, say, 8 to 15 V (for my car).

Below 6V, no led lights. This gives you higher resolution available in the usual volt range we wish to measure.

To set a minimum reference volt level, you attach a potentiometer to a particular reference pin (I forget which). Adjust until you find the point where the first led lights when the supply is at the desired volt level.

im trying to build an audio vumeter and when i measure the voltage it gives me between10Vand 120v and i think that LM3914 can't support this high voltage
and when i follow the datasheet of lm3915 all leds are lighted when i wire pins and leds and i use the 50k potentiometer
please somebody help me and if you can please send me the PCB and the isis similation really i feel very tired from this project but the problem is that i need it in my room
all regards and please help me

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.