Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

zero cross detection from 230V mains

Status
Not open for further replies.

RohanDey

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

I am trying to implement a dimmer circuit with AT89C2051 controller. I am using a Transformerless Capacitive Power Supply. I need a Zero Cross Detector circuit directly from 230V mains to make the dimmer work.

Previously I had successfully implemented the dimmer using a linear power supply with a 12-0V transformer and a comparator for implementing the ZCD.

Please share if anyone has any idea regarding Zero Cross Detector circuit directly from 230V mains, whose output can be fed to the controller which I am using.

Thanks..

I always advise to use external clamping diodes and not rely solely on the internal ones.
The reasons are simple, external diodes are inexpensive, and secondly they can handle far larger overloads than the internal ones.
This last feature is necessary whenever inductive transients (and believe me, there are plenty of them) appear on the powerline.

Status
Not open for further replies.