Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

desktop media linux (here is the 20th character) jeez

Status
Not open for further replies.

123jack

Advanced Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Does anyone know of a desktop linux distro that has full support including codecs and player for
all or most forms of video media via DVD or hard drive or USB hard drive
It must have no network capability of any sort (not just dissabled - it must not be present)
It should however be capable of running standard desktop applications like openoffice.
I'm looking for a distro that anyone can just install - no tech level knowledge at all
Any extra packages required must be downloadable and transfered via ramstick or DVD or even floppy.

Thanks

I guess there isnt one then.

Linux is built around it's network interface so it's very unlikely you will find a version without built-in network facilities. It would be like searching for a car that can't have an engine ftted.

Your best bet is to use something like Ubuntu Studio and remove the networking files.

Brian.

its just a decision to include networking or not in the compilation.
Theres no reason it couldnt be done and in fact I'd be amazed if it hasnt somewhere.
I was hoping someone knew of one.
I do indeed uninstall all networking myself on my own linux box but this is for others who have asked for
something quite specific.

you can remove NIC card or you can put some glue in RJ45 socket ....

I think there is more than enough inept bodging going on in the computer industry already dont you?

Does anyone know of a desktop linux distro that has full support including codecs and player for all or most forms of video media via DVD or hard drive or USB hard drive
&

I'm looking for a distro that anyone can just install - no tech level knowledge at all
= conflict:-o
It must have no network capability of any sort (not just dissabled - it must not be present)
Physically remove all NIC.:wink:
It should however be capable of running standard desktop applications like openoffice.
All Linux.
Slax Linux or Slax 6 Linux
Any extra packages required must be downloadable and transfered via ramstick or DVD or even floppy.
Generally - all linux, easy Slax Linux or Slax 6 Linux

read the thread before posting.

Status
Not open for further replies.