Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Simple AC mains regulater with overvoltage and overcurrent protection

Status
Not open for further replies.

ahakim

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Would somebody be kind to tell me about an AC Mains(220 or 120VAC) regulating circuit capable of delivering up to 600W with overvoltage and overcurrent protection? Thanks in advance...Simplicity is critical!

Last edited:

Many moons ago, there used to be something called ferroresonant regulators. Google the term.

They were completely passive, only a capacitor and a transformer. However, the transformer design was quite complex.

Edit: Ferros are still being produced, and widely available online

Last edited:

Would somebody be kind to tell me about an AC Mains(220 or 120VAC) regulating circuit capable of delivering up to 600W with overvoltage and overcurrent protection? Thanks in advance...Simplicity is critical!

For overcurrent protection use fuse.

Overvoltage / Undervoltage protection (voltage stabilization) use transformer with many taps, circuit will switch corresponding tap according to mains voltage. You can search EDABoard existing threads, there is lots of threads with this topic and circuits.

:wink:

The proposed mutiple-tap transformer solution: yes it's simple, but requires the use of switching relays, ...
Thanks anyway.

Last edited:

You're right,relays are cheap. I'm talking about "awkwardness" of regulation by "adding" or "subtracting" av voltage by steps, which is not very satisfactory. Also lifetime of relays (continuous switching)...Yes triacs would be much better...

Thanks tpetar...

Status
Not open for further replies.