Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Pcb Cleaning Thinner

Status
Not open for further replies.

mohana_s14

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi, Shall we use thinner instead of IPA for cleaning the pcb's after soldering. Is it create any issues?

i do use at times for solder layer only . Use of NC Thinner for component side, might damage the plastic parts, printed legend on components and color code of resistors.

corrosive,

It depends on the flux.
see, Some fluxes are corrosive over time, although not generally the ones you's normally use.
Even good flux, if contaminated can become corrosive - I used a flux ago,that was OK for a while, but then started corroding things a few days after application.
Some types will also absorb moisture, so if you have high impedance stuff it can cause long-term problems.

I often , adviced to clean your PCB after soldering with isopropanol alcohol because

1.) the solder flux could oxidize the copper in the long run

2.) the solder flux is not as high-ohm as a cleaned PCB and can create high-ohm connections on the PCB

it is much better to NOT clean the PCB from (pure rosin!) solder flux, because

1.) Isopropanol is aggressive to some plastics and can intrude into parts creating undesired effects.
It can e.g. dissolve polystyrene capacitors AFAIK

2.) By this dissolving of other materials a potential low-ohm film is spread over the PCB while the rosin itself is very high-ohmig when left untouched at the solder joints.

hii friends,
you can also see this **broken link removed**

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back