Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

zener diode for esd protection

Status
Not open for further replies.

emaro

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hello, :-D
i'm designing a GSM/GPRS module wich is the sim900. in the datasheet the manufacturer recommanded TVS diodes for esd protection between the module and the sim card holder as it is explained here in page 38 . i didn't find this type of diodes in shopes here in my country and i thought i may use zener diodes or ceramic capacitors as they can protect from esd. my final decision was the zener diodes as they can hundle more discharge than capacitors (capacitors cannot protect for more than 10kv). my question is which zener diode i should use (breakdown voltage, etc) ??
thank you ! :razz:

Replacing, TVS diode with Zener is not preferable always... TVS diode characteristics are such that they can handle high power..

If you still want to stick to zener,
for your interface logic level,

1. breakdown of zener must be beyond that.
2. low leakage current

Status
Not open for further replies.