Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

how to connect a GPS module to CPU?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nizar_Ib

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have this kind of GPS module https://www.sparkfun.com/products/8234
I need to connect it to my CPU via USB, my question is.. what kind of cable help me connect between the GPS module and my computer?
thx for any help.

CPU means PC in this case?

A FT232 or similar USB-to-serial converter will do, preferably by directly connecting the logic level UART of the converter with the GPS module. If you have an USB adaptor with RS232 level interface, an additional level converter (e.g. MAX232) would be needed.

First off, the GPS which you have selected is really not good. Take my word for that.
Speaking in more general terms, most of the GPS modules use a TTL UART interface, typically 9600,8N1 protocol. What you need is just a microcontroller with UART. If you want to connect to a PC, probably the easies option would be to look for a USB-to-UART bridge in places like eBay and so on.

First off, the GPS which you have selected is really not good. Take my word for that.
Speaking in more general terms, most of the GPS modules use a TTL UART interface, typically 9600,8N1 protocol. What you need is just a microcontroller with UART. If you want to connect to a PC, probably the easies option would be to look for a USB-to-UART bridge in places like eBay and so on.

I have already tried this option, I connected my GPS using microcontroller and USB-to-UART bridge.
In this case I was forced to write an appropriate code for the pic18 and see the data given by the GPS in the eeprom of the microntroller.
however, I'm searching for a simple way to make a direct communication between the GPS and my PC.
any USB-to-TTL UART can solve the problem?

I have already tried this option, I connected my GPS using microcontroller and USB-to-UART bridge.
In this case I was forced to write an appropriate code for the pic18 and see the data given by the GPS in the eeprom of the microntroller.
however, I'm searching for a simple way to make a direct communication between the GPS and my PC.
any USB-to-TTL UART can solve the problem?

Well, the question defines the answer. Now it become clear that you've had a pic18 involved. In order to connect GPS to a PC, you only need the USB-to-UART bridge and nothing else as hardware. You don't need a microcontroller at all. But you will always need some NMEA0183 parser in order to translate what the GPS provides as output into useful for you information.

what does it mean ? is it a code that I write on matlab/C or any programming software?
While you are waiting for someone at edaboard doing your work, you could enter "NMEA0183" or "NMEA0183 parser" at google, just to kill the time. :smile:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back