Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Designing an open-source 250W inverter for 220V / 50Hz with TI components

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boloar

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Designing an open-source 250W solar micro-inverter for 220V / 50Hz with TI components

This is the solar panel I will work with (245 Wp): https://www.moserbaersolar.com/resources/MBVP-CAAP-BB-english.pdf

I am in India, and I would like to try to design a micro-inverter that can be grid-connected. This will particularly be useful for the poorer rural communities who would not be able to afford buying inverters from outside the country.
I have some electrical experience (I'm better at programming), but power electronics and DSP isn't my strongest suit. TI has a Solar Micro-inverter Solution page and their components are more readily available here compared to other major manufacturers; if guidance can be provided to design this inverter, I foresee a lot of lives being improved, and not just in India ^_^

Attachments

• Block diagram.png
    Block diagram.png
    207.7 KB · Views: 149
Last edited:

This is the solar panel I will work with (245 Wp): https://www.moserbaersolar.com/resour...BB-english.pdf

I am in India, and I would like to try to design a micro-inverter that can be grid-connected. This will particularly be useful for the poorer rural communities who would not be able to afford buying inverters from outside the country.
I have some electrical experience (I'm better at programming), but power electronics and DSP isn't my strongest suit. TI has a Solar Micro-inverter Solution page and their components are more readily available here compared to other major manufacturers; if guidance can be provided to design this inverter, I foresee a lot of lives being improved, and not just in India ^_^
Hi Boloar
Ok , now what is your problem ? i hope you don't expect that here someone try to teach how to design an inverter from 1st step till the latest step ? i think if you mention your exact problem it would be better , and you'll get most of the help .
By the way , you could also have a bit search through the forum , then you could find gang of the related threads .
Best Wishes
Goldsmith

Re: Designing an open-source 250W solar micro-inverter for 220V / 50Hz with TI compon

Hi Boloar
Ok , now what is your problem ? i hope you don't expect that here someone try to teach how to design an inverter from 1st step till the latest step ? i think if you mention your exact problem it would be better , and you'll get most of the help .
By the way , you could also have a bit search through the forum , then you could find gang of the related threads .
Best Wishes
Goldsmith

Hi goldsmith,

Well, I'm kind of teaching myself, considering my limited electrical experience. I've searched through the forum, but most inverter-related threads are by people who already know their way around power electronics and DSP. I've only had one course on each of those subjects, and that was over 2 years ago, so I'm at a bit of a disadvantage.
If you take a look at TI's Solar Micro-inverter page ( https://www.ti.com/solution/solar-micro-inverter-diagram ) there are a lot of components to choose from, which I am getting rather confused with. I am sure a small community effort would quickly pin down a good choice of components - and this design will be open-source, so everyone benefits, particularly in poorer countries.
At the very least, I need help figuring out optimal specifications of the inductors/capacitors/MOSFETS for the DC-DC boost and DC-AC inverter in the attached image.

Block diagram.png

Last edited:

Hi goldsmith,

Well, I'm kind of teaching myself, considering my limited electrical experience. I've searched through the forum, but most inverter-related threads are by people who already know their way around power electronics and DSP. I've only had one course on each of those subjects, and that was over 2 years ago, so I'm at a bit of a disadvantage.
If you take a look at TI's Solar Micro-inverter page ( https://www.ti.com/solution/solar-micro-inverter-diagram ) there are a lot of components to choose from, which I am getting rather confused with. I am sure a small community effort would quickly pin down a good choice of components - and this design will be open-source, so everyone benefits, particularly in poorer countries.
At the very least, I need help figuring out optimal specifications of the inductors/capacitors/MOSFETS for the DC-DC boost and DC-AC inverter in the attached image.

block-diagram.png

Hi Boloar
I think you need many of the technical backgrounds . and it is nearby impossible to teach all of them in a thread in a forum . you need to read some books before you start going through these subjects . and of course , you need to earn some experiences . i mean practical experiences . for instance you need to select an start point . your start point can be trying to understand what is an SMPS and what are the related arrangements of an SMPS and how to design and build one of them . then you can be ready for another step . you need at least 10 steps to reach the sufficient knowledge of designing such a project .
So believe me , if you want to be a designer of those simple projects , you need to start for going through the steps ! ( start the reading and earning the experience ) .

Best Wishes
Goldsmith

Status
Not open for further replies.