Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How safe is keeping SATA disk connected without power?

Status
Not open for further replies.

albert22

Full Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Is there any risk in keeping the data cable for a SATA disk connected when its power cable is disconnected ?
There are several projects on the web to switch between disks by connecting them to individual SATA ports and switching on/off the power to one or more.
Of course the switching is done when the PC is powered off and never when the disk is in use.
But I wonder if the unpowered logic on the disk or the host may be damaged by doing that.

If PC is turned off (motherboard is off, not standby state), then there is no problem to do that with HDs.

I mean that the disk will be connected by the data cable when the PC operates normally. This is to switch between disks with different operating systems. For example disk A is connected and powered on and disk B is connected but un powered. Then I could turn the PC off flip a switch and turn the PC on back again. with disk A no power, disk B with power.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back