Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Can I use 22pf ceramic capacitor instead of 0.1uf ceramic cacpacitor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HerohetoChakma

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Can I use 22pf ceramic capacitor instead of 0.1uf ceramic cacpacitor?? If no then tell me what types of capacitor could i use instead of it. Or can i use 0.1uf electric capacitor instead of ceramic capacitor. i want to use it in 20MHz crystal.

Capcitors serve a specific functional purpose in a circuit. It's unlikely, that a 22 pF capacitor can work in place of 100 nF or vice versa. 100 nF capacitors are often used as "firsl-level" bypass capacitor, near to power supply pins. 22 pF would be almost effectless in this place (except for RF circuits), a foil or electrolytic type has probably too high series impedance, but would be better than nothing, though.

Capacitors around crystals are clearly specified in datasheets and essential for operation. You must not change it's value.

Reactions: tpetar

tpetar

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Can I use 22pf ceramic capacitor instead of 0.1uf ceramic cacpacitor?? If no then tell me what types of capacitor could i use instead of it. Or can i use 0.1uf electric capacitor instead of ceramic capacitor. i want to use it in 20MHz crystal.

Read section for oscillators, and others chapters and sections if you want, its useful :

https://www.mikroe.com/chapters/view/17/

Reactions: FvM

FvM

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.