Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Fabrication material

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vagish Rajan

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

In the case of fabricating an antenna I found that every fabricator uses FR4 only as the substrate material(generally for low cost fabrication)
My question is that, why do they not use PTFE which has a lesser dielectric constant?
Please help!

Thank you.

sincw FR4 is common used, while PTFE is special and expensive,
both the seller and the buyer are caring price more than quality now.
You could give your special requirement of material when you talk with the fabricator,
of course, if you can accept the higher price.
Hi,

In the case of fabricating an antenna I found that every fabricator uses FR4 only as the substrate material(generally for low cost fabrication)
My question is that, why do they not use PTFE which has a lesser dielectric constant?
Please help!

Thank you.

The issue is whether you really need the additional performance of using a high frequency laminate.

You can refer to a document here [ **broken link removed** ] . Since it is written by Rogers, a bias towards using the (more expensive) high frequency laminate can be expected.

Hi,
the cost and also the flexibility in terms of fabrication both favours the FR-4. However there some advantages using hybrid of PTFE/FR-4 (multi-layer) as I found out in this link
**broken link removed**

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back