Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

light wave length and refrective index relationship in Fiber optics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Qaisar Azeemi

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi all;
i dont know if it is a right place for this post or not but i think it is related to basic electronics.

i want to know about the relationship between light wave length and refractive index of the material. is the refractive index a changing property of the material?? if yes then why? if changing wavelength can change the frequency? i think it must be changed due to relation :

propagation velocity = frequency X wavelength

this relation shows us that frequency and wavelength are inversly proportional to each other..... so when light enters from one medium to other we can say that its frequency will be changed because of changed wavelength ?????? thus color of the light will be changed???

kindly solve my confusion.

thanking you in anticipation.

propagation velocity = frequency X wavelength

this relation shows us that frequency and wavelength are inversly proportional to each other..... so when light enters from one medium to other we can say that its frequency will be changed because of changed wavelength ?????? thus color of the light will be changed???
Right formula, wrong conclusion. The frequency stays constant, wavelength changes with propagation speed.

Also refractive index is directly related to propagation speed, but inversely proportional. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Refractive_index

Status
Not open for further replies.